Story of the Year Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Jan 26, 2006.

1. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Hey guys,

I was just watching 7th Ave. Drop on Fuse and I saw the bassist for Story of the Year playing a green bass with a pearl pickguard - that I've never seen before. The Headstock looked just like a Zon but the body reminded me more of a benevente vortex - definitely looked like a custom or boutique job because I think typically these guys use whatever Stingray or Fender P they can get their hands on. Sorry I don't have a pic butI'd be really interested to know what type of bass he's playing.

Anyone in the know?

2. He usually plays a warwick thumb bolt-on but if it had a pick guard it might have been a custom shop wick or somthing else. So basicly I didnt answer anything:D
  3. Well according to this picture...
    It appears to be he IS in fact playing a ZON. Good eye man.

I'll assume the bass he is holding, is the one in question...
    So far, the only pic of the bass I can find.

If you look at this picture here, of Robby Tokac of Goo Goo Dolls, his ZON does in fact have a pickguard on it...

So, it looks like your suspission was correct all along! :D

PS. Just found this... Looks like the ZON Sonus Classic basses come with pickguards, and white, is an option!

4. wow i want one of those, they same in awesome colors and i've never played a zon i didnt like.

and if you check the artist page on Zon's site hes on there. the last one i belief.

he also sometimes uses spectors as seen....
  5. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Interesting, and yet he keeps on showing up in Warwick ads. Oh, the joys of being a "stealth" endorsee. :p
  6. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Nice, I thought I recongized the headstock. And on a side note - I guess their new album is a stab at hardcore. Well at least one of them has good taste in gear:D
  7. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Those Zon Classic basses sound amazing too, I played one for way too long when I stumbled across it at Guitar Center.
  8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Too bad his playing sucks :(
  9. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    Are Zons known for making your face melt?
  10. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Their new album is really good.
  11. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
  12. Just like how Brad Stewart (Bassist of Shinedown), a HUGE draw of Spector basses switches back and forth live with a Tobias of some sort.

13. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    His tone was great with the Spectors, but I remember when he had them both on eBay last year. He went to a Thumb bolt on after that, but that didn't last long I guess. I've never had a chance to play a Zon, are they rated highly?
  14. i have a picture some where (ill get it on here soon) and it has a single MM pickup
  15. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Naw, they suck. I never play mine.