Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STP fingerin conundrum!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wes I AM, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey cats,

I was watchin Mtv2 today and part of an Mtv unplugged gig with Stone Temple Pilots came on. They played "Big Empty" and I noticed that their bassist (who is awesome if I may add) was fingering in a really interesting way. It looked like he was fingering normally except he wasn't plucking the strings (ya know, put your finger on the string and pull till your finger comes off the other side and it vibrates). Instead he was simply tapping the strings but not following through. Like, only doin half the motion and not coming off the string to let it vibrate. Ya dig? Anyone followin' me on this? Was I just missing something or is this a different way of finger playing? Or is it the correct way and have I been doing it all wrong!?
    help is greatly appreciated! thanks guys and gals..

Wesley T.

2. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I don't know what's wrong or right, but I do a variation of that tapping thing myself. I do it at sort of an angle. I have tape-flats with super low tension, and when I play like that, I get an awesome, pseudoslap sound. Pretty neat, I suggest trying it sometime.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Wes, it's an alternate way. Pluckin (pizzicato) is, like, pulling the string.
    But you can also tap the string. Very effective on an electric bass, with lots of sustain and means to amplify. The result is a more singing tone, something between a softly plucked and a harmonic tone.
    As a choir backer, I get many opportunities to try this, mainly when there is a "slow" solo in the female range, or in the beginning of a song, before the heavy groove begins. Actually quite fun :)

What you do, is just bounce the fingertips on the strings, instead of the ordinary slight pull.