Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STP- "Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nick man, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey everybody!

(Hey Dr. Nick!)

Sorry.... well anyways, Im just posting to say that Im cool and Im awesome, and Im the greatest ever etc, etc, etc, because I finally learned Stone Temple Pilots' "Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart."

Its been my favorite tune by my favorite band for a really long time now and it is the song that really got me into Rob DeLeo and his playing. The first time I really listened to this bass line I thought, "WOW" it just has such an awesome feel and its so driving and complex but not overplayed at all. I started listening to more of their stuff and looking into his influences and ultimately it led me to listening to a lot of John Paul Jones' playing with Zeppelin. Since then Ive started creating a feel and style of my own thats largely influenced by these guys, but I just never gave the song enough serious time.

I always just thought that because of the stacato feel and fast tempo I wouldnt be able to pick up on it. Im just a slow guy. Since I moved out of the house (and into a dorm with no neighbors) Ive had a lot more time to listen to music and play without anyone complaining about the noise. I was just listening to the songs on my iPod and when that one came around I heard the chord changes and kept them in my mind and maybe a week later I gave it another listen and took a little more in, and then a couple of days later I listened again and took in a little more and I realized that I could probably really learn it if I just kept trying it phrase by phrase and next thing you know about an hour later I had all the notes down!

Now I just have to improve my speed so I can get it too full tempo. :p

:D :hyper: :bassist: :cool:

[​IMG]

Peace
    Nick

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Agreed, DeLeo is one of the best "supporting" bassists in modern era music. Hard to do as much as he does, yet remain so tasteful, and supportive.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not sure if you are aware but he is the main songwritter for *many* of STP's big hits.

Peace
    Nick

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No I didn't know that, my knowledge on them is kinda limited, I am a fan, but not fanatic. I do think he is a very underrated bassist though!

I member WAY back, when their first cd had just come out. They had yet to make a big footprint. My buddy had their CD, and wanted me to check it out. About 30 seconds into "dead and bloated", I was blown away.

Shame it had to come to an end, truly a great band. I hope Weiland kicks his habits before they kick him.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Nick

That is one of my favorite songs of all time, if you can could you tell us how to play it. The bass line on this song sounds really great with active emg j pick ups. You know Erick Kretz wrote the song i think it is the only one he has.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

See what happens when you practice...You turn into a Bass God!

Some STP is good, and some STP just Rocks!

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I knew you'd be dropping in on this one. ;)

I somehow forgot that this was Eric's song. I knew it wasn't Rob's but I couldnt figure who's it was. Funny you mention playing it with EMG J pickups since thats whats in the Valenti bass Im using to learn it, too bad they are actually the Vintage Series EMG J pickups though. As long as you play it with that stacatto feel right over the bridge though you can get pretty close to the right sound.

Ill see if I can tab it out, but Im generally really bad at that. A lot of what I play I just play, I dont really think about what Im doing I just know that it feels and sounds right, but Ill see if I can get that stuff down. It actualy helps if when trying to play the song you dont think about what you are doing and kinda just let your hands work it out.

"When Im playing bass its not about the notes- its about the feel."
    -Rob DeLeo

Peace
    Nick

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Core and purple are great albums, the rest seam to fall into the good categories,

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    While Core is definetly great, I have to say that Tiny Music definetly rates above it in my eyes.

Its too rough and unrefined. Heavey and rough is good sometimes, but once you hear the rest of what they are capable of you feel kinda cheated..... or at least I kinda see it that way. It doesnt seem like it was their best to me.

Peace
    Nick

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I agree with this, but even if they would of released core, then pulled a Nirvana, I still would say STP was great.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Definetly, they really seemed to shine on all their stuff.

Even No.4 and Shangriladida were great albums with great songs despite the lack of recognition.

Peace
    Nick

12. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    You can not judge a album on recognition, maybe one song, maybe.

That is true that all of the stuff that STP has done is very good!!! I just happen to like Core and Purple best.(that may be to the fact of what I was doing when I heard them albums... You know reference point so to say.)

13. MAJOR METAL

Nick

Tiny music is my favorite too, truly a work of art. It is sad the sldd never went platinum but i think alot has to do with the lack of promotion. I think no. 4 did well.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, I think a lot of it was just lack of promotion and the times.

The biggest bands these days are less than 2 years old, its hard to imagine a band who has been on the scene for 10 years being embraced by the masses these days. Maybe STP purposely didnt promote very heavily to avoid the kind of crowd they might have had if they flooded MTV with promos?

Peace
    Nick

15. MAJOR METAL

I had heard when it came time to promotion of sldd that their record company just didint want to put the vast money needed to do it right because of all the cancelled tours and problems that arise with weiland.I could see the band reuniting down the road but i dont think it will be for a long time.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If they ever do play again, Ill be front row center. :D

Peace
    Nick

17. Me too. I had the chance to see them once but didn't go, and I've been kicking myself ever since.

Tiny Music...is my favorite STP album too. The bassline to Trippin' is great, and I really like the guitar solo too. Awesome song.

18. MAJOR METAL

The DeLeo Brothers are really a great combo of musical ability.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I payed to see them twice and missed them both times, the only time I did see them was a suprise free show they played on the beach at sunset. :cool:x1,000,000,000

Speaking of the DeLeo brothers, Im not sure if all of you guys know this but they preoduced Alien Ant Farm's most recent album. I really wasnt a fan of the old one, I actually kinda hated it. I havent heard much off the new one, but Im really digging what I hear.

Peace
    Nick