1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

STR Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Mar 25, 2009.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I was checking out some basses on The Low End and stumbled upon this STR Vintage 5 string 70's TT burst.

I am absolutely in love with this thing! I did some searching around and was able to find their website, but they dont give all too much info (in english anyway)

http://www.deviser.co.jp/modules/str/

Anybody own/or has played one of these? All I know it that they're 34" scale and have 19mm bridge spacing.

2. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Here's a pic:

untitled2.

3. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Anybody? :help:

4. I know 82Daion has an STR that he's selling. Although his was not a "Vintage" model, maybe he can help answer some of your questions.

5. From what I've heard, they offer some Fodera-like quality....and like many modern luthiers, appeared virtually outta nowhere!

6. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    I have not played one of the "vintage" models but I do own an STR LS 549 and it's an incredible instrument. The quality of the workmanship is second to none and the tone is to die for!

CIMG5631.

7. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Yeah now that you mention it, the first thing I said to myself when I saw it was "wow that looks alot like a Fodera NYC"

I think I may have to make a purchase soon, just wish I knew more of the deets.

8. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    That is absoluetly beautiful! It seems that these things are comparable with all the other high end boutique guys. I'm liking what I'm hearing.

9. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    They're made by the same folks who make Bacchus basses-it's just a new higher-end line from them.

I've been extremely impressed by my STR, and the only reason I'm selling it is because I want to move to fretless full-time. The build quality, playability, and tone are exceptional, and the woods they used on mine are beautiful.

I haven't tried the "Vintage" line like the one in the OP, but if it's anything like mine, it should be very, very nice.

10. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    STR.. LS/CS what's the order? Is one better than the other? Can anyone describe the tone, feel of the bass. Is it truly Foderaesque?
    Swpyne..? K Jung. Tom Bowlus, Somebody?

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have never played one, sorry. :meh:

12. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Thank Tom for answering I'm gonna take a chance and see what's the hype about..

I'll keep you posted..