Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Str. for B E A D tuning on Peavey Cirrus 4

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ingemar, May 6, 2005.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    OK
    I've just bought and used Peavey Cirrus
    (8lb/3,85kg-walnut/bubinga body)

Anyone who have sugestions on wich strings to use for B E A D tuning on that bass (35")
    Edit/Delete Message

2. Why do you want to tune your bass like that?

Congratulations to your Cirrus. I have Cirrus 5 Fretless Walnut/Mahogny

3. Posssibly because his/her last bass was a 5 string and he/she never used the G? - That's my excuse.

4. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I owned a Ibanez BTB705OL fivestring (verry good bass) but it was to heavy for my back.(used it mostly on 3,5-4 h dance/wedding gigs)
    The Cirrus is to replace that bass for those gigs

I also own an Godin A4 fretted stringed with TI-Jazz Flats for smaller acousticlike gigs and an Ibanez Artcore semihollow for popgigs

5. Ingemar your name sounds Swedish :)

6. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes. I'm living in Bohuslän, Sweden

7. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    No sugestions on string brands?

8. What strings did you use on your Ibanez, and why not use the same?

9. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I used Elixir extra long... but they have a tapered B and I some cind of dislike that

10. Tapered B strings usually intonate a bit better.

You will more than likely have to have the nut recut for BEAD stringing. The saddles may have to be worked also.

I can fully understand BEAD to have access to the B string when you have no need for the G string. This is my situation as well. I'm a bottom player, not a top player.

Staying with a 4-banger tuned BEAD offers a much wider variety of pickups than are available for 5-string basses.

11. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden

I've allready cut the nut and saddles. (on the pic the bass is strunged with Ddaddario XL superlong 0.60 -1.25, but I'm curious to test some new/other string brand)
    I think Peavey had their own Cirrus strings that came along with the new basses and I think they sounded/felt good, but I can't find them anywhere here in Sweden (or at the webb)[​IMG]

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I once saw a set of Cirrus strings at Andreasson Musik in Göteborg. Though that was nearly two years ago. Perhaps they still have them?

13. i could recomend Ebs strings.. very good if you like stinless strings

14. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Tackar. Skall kolla imorgon /Thanks I'll check that out to morrow