Straight Back SVT Cab-rehab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grimm, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Grimm

Dec 6, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Hello All-

I have recently acquired an older straight-back Ampeg 810 that I plan to refurbish. I have done several searches on the topic here, and have learned a great deal (thank you to all of you who regularly post information and experiences…), but cannot seem to find the direct answers to a few questions.

1- I am going to refurbish the original speakers, but am also considering buying the newer, higher power-handling models for use with higher output front ends. Has anyone used the newer speakers, designed for the newer cabinets in older cabs, and to what result? (in other words, are the cabinet’s respective chamber volumes markedly different?)

2- When refurbishing your cab, did you replace the wiring harness, and did you maintain the use of the older, three prong xlr-type input?

3- I read a mention somewhere in the forums about a product that is ideal for creating airtight seals between the speaker and cabinet face (a sort of liquid gasket?)- does anyone know the name of the product and where to obtain?

4- I will most likely try to go over the joints in the cabinet with some sort of caulking agent while I have the speakers removed to pre-empt cabinet rattles- any recommendations here?

5- Any other insights that those of you who have done this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your responses-
  2. 1) i dont know, apparently the older cabs sound alot better, this will probably be because of the older speakers aswell as the cab design

thats all the help i can kind of offer im afraid, good luck
  3. Grimm

Dec 6, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Thanks Mohawk-

Anyone out there who has tackled this project?
  4. It's a waste of money. The old speakers sound better, go lower, are more efficient, and handle more power. Get them reconed and forget about the new stuff. They're 160 watts EACH according to what info Eminence has on them.

Unless you're using it with a vintage SVT that only has the FOUR pin XLR jack, there's no point. You won't be able to use another amp without an adapter cable. There is no wiring harness; all the speakers simply parallel off each other.

Any silicone caulk or adhesive will do this, but you'll run into MAJOR problems if you have to replace or repair the speaker later. New speaker mount gaskets and screws are fine.

The cabinet is heavy plywood. If it rattles, it's damaged, and the repair will need to address that specific type of damage. Bracing is what prevents rattles, not so much sealing.
  5. Grimm

Dec 6, 2002
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Got it, Got it, Got it, and Got it.

Exactly what I needed to know-

Thank you!