1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Straight bass to bass trade

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sneha1965, Apr 21, 2010.

1. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this so my apologies in advance if it's a problem.

I have a question to TB'ers who have done straight trades with another TB'er with no record. I have read the How to avoid getting ripped off on the internet, and I have collected numbers and address, but that doesn't guarantee anything. I'm curious to know if anyone else has done a straight trade with someone with no TB, eBay, or any other references, and if they might have more suggestions on making a safe transaction beyond what is stated in How to avoid getting ripped off on the internet. Thanks in advance.

2. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    if you have substantial feedback here and elsewhere, and the other person has none, I would require that you receive their bass before shipping yours to them.

3. I have done that several times and the other party has not taken issue.

H

4. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    +1 You ship me your bass and let me look it over and make sure all is as stated. Then I ship mine to you if I am satisfied with yours. That way you are not at risk.

I personally don't like the trade thing. Have done it once and it worked out great, but I still don't care for it.

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i would make a solid fb rating a priority andshare tracking numbers after they are sent. i always do a verbal agreement that if one party isn't satisfied with the trade then the instruments are sent back with no questions asked.

6. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    I treat a trade just as a regular sale. If I have a bass advertised and someone offers me a trade, I want their trade item first, just like I would want their money first, before I ship it. If I were offering a trade to someone I would look at the seller the same way (as in references) as if I were paying cash.

You are opening yourself up for trouble if you work a deal where both parties ship simultaneously.

7. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Thanks to all for sharing your experience. I like the idea of having the other guy ship first. Although I only have 1 TB transaction, I have 51 transactions on eBay with 100% rating and I have nothing to go by with him. Zero, nada.

8. LowWay

LowWay

Dec 16, 2009
    I have done one trade for a bass and one for an effect. Both went smooth, but both times both parties had good feedback.

I would only do a trade with at least one party with strong feedback, otherwise,, I would stick to a sale until feedback is built up.

9. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    If the person is legit they should have no issues shipping you their bass first.

I've lurked around this site for years and finally decided I wanted to try to sell some stuff here. I've got 0 feedback, so I can only assume people are leery of my offerings. If I were doing a bass trade I'd have no issues what so ever shipping my gear out first.

10. Agreed with all on this topic. I dont have any feedback here either, and would have no fear of shipping my bass first.

Also, ive done a few trades...but they were always local. It was easy to just drive over with your stuff and sit down and jam for a bit. if the shoes fit....we wore them home...

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    DEFINITELY have him ship first. That's the only way I'd do a deal like that if the person couldn't offer any form of feedback.

12. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I did a trade recently and we shipped simultaneously.

the basses arrived within a day of each other.

it went smoothly.

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    just fyi for all involved...

i moved this thread here, being that we've discussed certain classifieds-related issues in OT before.

we (site admin) are discussing an alternative, but for now, any classifieds-related topics should be discussed in OT.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I did a trade with another TBer, not basses, but my VOL pedal for his Wah. At the time I had no feedback on TB. The other party made no issue of this, possible because he could see Im on here a lot and had been for about a year before doing my first sale/trade. I sent my item first, and texted the other party with the tracking info the next morning. I believe he shipped his item before recieving mine, and all was well.

Another time I sold a pedal to someone from the Bay Area. They asked to pay by personal check and I said that would be fine so long as they were ok with waiting until the check cleared before I ship. It was. The check came fast, cleared, and the other party got the pedal in time to put it to good use.