Straight edge ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by paradog, Dec 17, 2012.

1. paradog

paradog

Dec 25, 2011
    Central NJ
  2. AlecRob

AlecRob

Mar 7, 2011
    I like how the picture shows a rickenbacker bass!

3. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    I have one. Quality is fine, for a machined bar of aluminum. It's good for checking relief, but using a capo and fretting the string seems to work well, too. This one is a lot less expensive than the one from stew mac.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Uneeded. Just sight down the neck for nearly dead flat and check that theres barely any clearance from bottom of sting to top of fret at 12th fret with E string fretted at first and 24th fret. Adjust bridge for lowest action with no fretting out. If you get excess buzz at a couple frets after that you prob need a fret level job done by a qaulified pro luthier.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yeah just fret the string at first and last frets and measure clearance at the 9th fret. Just enough for at least a business card to fit under. Adjust to taste and the frets will tell you if you need more or less relief to keep it buzz free. As dark storm said problem frets that buzz will require pro attention to get action as low as possible if that's what you want.

6. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    A good use for the straight edge is to adjust the neck dead straight for fret leveling. I agree that the string method works fine for adjusting neck relief.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021