1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Straight Outta LA

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, May 11, 2010.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Anyone else check this out tonight on ESPN? It was produced and narrarated by Ice Cube. I thought it was well done. One observation....Al Davis now looks like a living mummy. Scary!

-Mike

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Didn't see the film, but that explains the decisions the Raiders have made the past few years: He has moths flying around where his brain should be.

3. Yep... Al Davis is so old and decrepit his anus has mice.

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Didn't see it, but I would have to agree with everyone else. Al Davis is like the living dead, only a bit older and more sick looking.

5. the Raiders had a good draft though and trading for Jason Campbell/cutting JaWalrus suggest that maybe AL has started taking gingko biloba.

I don't have cable just netflix. It's really something I want to see. The intersection/symbiosis of a hip hop movement and a sports franchise.

Plus NWA were twice as scary I think because they rocked the Raider gear.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Agreed. This year's draft/off-season decisions were pretty good. An JaMarcus needs to sit his fat, rich butt at home. He'll never be a decent NFL QB, nor does he want to be.

And without the Black & Silver, NWA today would be considered to have been little more than Tag Teams' "Whoomp There It Is". I mean c'mon "Express Yourself", and later Ice Cube's "Today Was A Good Day"?! Possibly the most non-threatening "gangsta" rap songs in existence (but still 2 of my all-time favorites). The majority of their other material, though pretty scary in their day, is nothing by the latest "gangsta" standards.

7. I didn't even hear of it, but it sounds interesting from what I'm reading here. I'll look for it when I get home and record it on the dish divr. And this statement is obligatory...
    For the first time since my senior year in high school, I have some form of optimism about my Oakland Raiders. Just seeing JaFartacus on post game pressers with his mink coats, foxfur hats, permanently dumbfounded mouth agaped expression, and everlasting gobstopper sized earrings, saying things like "well actually, nah I didn't feel uncomfortable, I had a pretty good game, jus dude, you know, holdin on to me when I try to make a pass, uh, dropped passes..." made my stomach hurt.
    OK, rant over

8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Granted, I do not keep up with the latest rap scene, but I can't believe anything is more scary than "F tha Police" or "Straight Outta Compton".

-Mike

9. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I didn't think it was that great, but I guess I was expecting it to be more of a Raiders documentary and less of Ice Cube talking about how he and the other gangster rappers made the Raiders popular.

I think it started on a bad note for me seeing Snoop Dogg talking about being a Raiders fan, that dude is as fairweather and fake a sports fan as anyone can be (ie; wearing jerseys for the Warriors when they beat Dallas, then the Lakers the next year).

The most interesting thing about NWA is that I don't think any of them actually had more than a misdemeanor on their criminal records when they started the group.

10. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I know what you mean.

Snoop usually reps the Steelers and Penguins, and now he decides to fly the silver and black. Whatever poser, come correct. Faking on Front Street. :rollno:

-Mike

11. But....he didn't even have to use his AK!

Mike

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You could say it was a good day.

Re: Snoop & the Raiders
    I believe the reason Snoop Dogg reps the Raiders jersey is because he coaches Pop Warner football in the Chino area, and his team is the Raiders.

13. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec

You think or you know?

14. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Granted, that's your fault, they advertised it pretty well as being about how gangster rap influenced the culture that is the "Oakland Raiders".

I liked it, personally I think Ice Cube is an extremely intelligent man. I didn't see all of it because I was watching Vancouver get rolled into a fatty and smoked out by Chicago, but from what I saw I found it pretty interesting. Really, all of ESPN's 30 for 30s have been awesome.

15. It's a gang thing....

I won't name names, but there are two gangs in Long Beach that used to be partners, but now are off-and-on rivals. One wears steelers jerseys, the other wears raiders jerseys. Snoop is on the steelers jersey side of things, but started wearing raiders more and more when Goldie Loc and Tray Dee came out and they kinda started to try and bring back the unity between the two gangs. There's a little more to it than that, but for fear of threadjacking, this is at least a skeleton

16. I saw some of this last night as I was falling asleep. I thought it was pretty good...hope it comes on again so I can see the whole thing

17. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I saw a documentary on NWA and they said something along these lines. This information is floating around various internet sites as well, I just don't know the exact time this was said and where it was first divulged.

Guess I still thought there'd be more sports considering it's an ESPN documentary.

18. Just because you don't get caught doesn't mean you don't do the deed.