"Straight-through" Tuning Machines

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by flon_klar, Feb 27, 2006.

1. flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    I'm wondering if anyone might have some information re: the possibility of the existence of a type of bass tuning machine that, instead of the standard configuration of the knob and shaft being perpendicular to each other, would have the knob and shaft parallel, either straight through the headstock or offset slightly to allow for a gear reduction, but still operated from the back side of the headstock. I'm building a bass with a crescent-shaped headstock, and I don't want to break that profile with 5 big winged knobs protruding from the edge. Or am I going to have to invent something??!! Thanks.
  2. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Steinberger makes some, but you may have to buy the bass to get the tuners. :eek:
  3. I think those ones are the one you're looking:
    unfortunately those are for electric guitar, not sure if they will work with bass strings gauge..
  4. flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your assistance. But I too would doubt that these tuners would be sufficient for the extra size and tension of bass strings, especially getting into a low B.