Straight to Jack basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthewfoote, May 19, 2005.

1. This is a question to anyone who has a bass that goes straight to jack with no preamp.

Do you need a line boost between the pickup and the jack or is the signal strong enough on its own?

Also is it restrictive tone wise not to have a pre amp?

Any help appreciated

2. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    I believe Anthony Jackson's Fodera Presentation has no preamp whatsoever. Only an input jack and the one pickup. Here's a picture of his old one (prototype #9 I believe):

And the top:

I'm not sure if there's anything else in the chain or if he gets the signal off the pickup alone.

3. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I think it's just that, a Millenium preamp and Meyers powered cabinets...
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    And a volume pedal..

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Passive basses have no preamp, the tone/volume controls are cut only. So, no, you do not need a preamp!

I do not have straight to the jack, but for my rock bass I do have no tone control. So pickup->volume_pot->jack. I find that I get way more tone control from the amp.

That said, some people like to fiddle with the tone controls alot. I am a "set it and forget it" type of guy!
  6. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

Touché :D
  7. Guys

Thanks for the very quick replies.

That was the final question I had for my new 7 string :D

6 months and counting :hyper:

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Details please!!

9. Hi Matthew

I have not had any problems with the output from my Fodera AJ Presentation. Personally not having the pre-amp on the bass has made me concentrate more on how my hands are shaping the sound. I have found it to be quite a freeing experience.

Looking forward to seeing your new baby !!

10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah ..... you can't just drop in a nugget like that without some more info ;)
  11. I honestly thought that this was going to be a thread about Jack Casady basses.

12. Ok

Well it will be another Sei bass this time a fretted 7 to go with my fretless 7.

The body wood will be wenge
    with a flame sycamore top and back
    Neck will be wenge with flame sycamore stringers
    fingerboard will be Flame sycamore
    headstock will have a flame sycamore veneer front and back

The effect will hopefully be one peice of flame running from the bottom to the headstock right through the fretboard

Scale length 34"
    string spacing 17.5mm

Single custom humbucker with coil tap to allow single coil operation.

It will go straight to jack and no knobs at all not even a volume control.

The bridge will be ABM individual bridge pieces

I am hoping the wenge will give me some growl and the coil tap some variety. The coil tap switch will be recessed near to the jack so not visable from the fromt.

My idea is to have a bass that is visually stunning whilst still having great tone. I am not sure if I will stain the flame or not. If I do it will be subtle.

Martin at sei bass is really up for building this bass so it should be quite exciting.

I will keep people informed about progress.

13. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I am Jack. Please feel free to send me your basses with no preamp.

Thank you in advance.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've just been through two preamps in my Roscoe and I didn't like either of them. I just wired both pickups straight to the output jack (That's OUTPUT jack...... ;) ) and the tone improved dramatically.

I will say that the output depends on the the pickup. The only reason I need a preamp for the Roscoe is because Bart pickups are very low output. I'm gonna put a Pope pre in it because they sound passive when set flat.

Good luck with the bass.
  15. bovinehost

err tempting but ........................................... no

Interesting this confirms my decision. I will be having a control cavity made just in case I need a pre but I hope not. The pickup will be a Kent Armstrong and will be wound to my spec so it should work.

16. :D

You silly Lord of the Bongos, you !!! :D