Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straight to the Heart

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Not the Bryan Adams song.

Since there's a bunch of commercial threads cooking- I was wondering if anyone else has those really nauseating jeweler radio commercials. I heard that a few different stores use the same eye-gougingly annoying song. Just wondering if anyone else has to put up with them.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Nope, I'm an old guy that listens to NPR

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Straight to the heart??! -- Are you talking about the Shaw's Jewelers theme song?

Dude: That song has a KILLER bass part in it! The playing and the tone is like a benchmark I'm shooting for in my advancement in bass. Honestly, Man - I've more than once thought to myself - and just recently brought up to my drummer - that when I find a bass teacher, I'm bringing him a recording of the Shaw's Jewelers song, and saying "THAT'S how I want to be able to sound when I play bass"!

In fact - I'm planning on finding out if it's a local buisness that had a local ad agency do the jingle, thinking that maybe I could find the Shaw's bassist. I'd have half-a-mind to not only tell him I'm a fan, but ask HIM to be my teacher!

Y'just doh-know, Man. You just don't know.

Joe

4. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee

Wow! I never thought twice about the bassline in that song, because, well, because the song is so irritating.

5. A friend told me the same jingle is used for a jeweler in like Minneapolis or something- different name though. It might be a local agency- do you know Loppy? He might know. His studio is down in the Third Ward.

Probably someone like Rick Holmes...

Joe, I realize that a true professional would play what's put in front of them, but...

Your voice is high...
    Now you must die...
    Before I throw you...(throw you)
    I'll drive this stake straight through your heart.

It'll go-
    Straight through your heart...
    Straight through your heart...

Eeewwwwyyyyeaaaahhgh!

6. Wait, I thought this was the jingle for Belden Jewelers...slow, lite and easy listenning crap, right?

7. It has this guy with this high, whiny voice singing-
    "I love her so, that she must know..."

It's on most every commercial break on most every radio station around here.

After looking into this- it very well may be-

http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/diamond_education/articles/reference/whosyourjeweler.html

OK, that didn't exactly format right, but it looks like Sterling jewelers is the subsidiary of Signet Group, of which Shaw's and Belden are a member of.

8. Yeah, that jingle is the crap. Fo' shizzle.

9. Not only is it crap- but it's crap that's not localized just around here- you're subjected to it halfway across the country!

10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    D'oah!!

Joe

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    "The way that I show her, has got to go straight to the heart..."

Hey, Man - the cool bass part doesn't start until after Whiney-and-Whipped sings "...has got to go straight to the heart".

I wait 'til the second half before I turn up the radio.

When Crossfade's Cold comes on I turn it up at the beginning; when Sad But True come on, I might turn up the radio and pull the car over.

Joe