Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straight up Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iriegnome, Mar 6, 2006.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am working on setting up a new system. I have a preamp that I am going to use, but I need a power amp.
    I am looking for a minimum of 1,000 watts, BUT it has to do that into 2 Ohms.
    I use 3-8 Ohm cabinets.. (yes I know - 2.6 Ohms) Ok. Here is the problem, Crown and QSC - my first choices do not go to 2 Ohms bridged mono....
    Help people!:help:

2. I am not working for Ampeg but their SVP-1600 does 2x600W RMS @ 2Ohms...

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I haven't heard of any stereo power amps that will safely go to 2 ohms in bridged mono. You might have to run 2 cabs off one channel and the third off the second and run in stereo. If you have plenty of power it'll be fine.

4. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, the power amp section of an iAMP 800 does 1,000w into 2 ohm, but yes, the Focus SA might be a more straight up route.

But, if you want to get 333w (or thereabouts) into each cab, what's wrong with a 2-channel power amp like a CA9?

Tom.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A Crest 10001 will do it, but it's probably overkill. Try a two channel amp of adequate power, and put two cabs on one channel and one on the other.

7. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
  8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd just get a beefy stereo amp. Run two cabs off of one side and another off the other. That would be a lot easier and probably cheaper than restricting your search to amps that are bridgeable into 2 ohms.
    Wow, I never thought I'd call a Crown MS 2402 a cheaper alternative...

9. Find a stereo poweramp that does 700w@4ohms per side. You can connect 2 cabs to one side andf one cab to the other. You'll be able to attenuate the single cab if needed.

10. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey iriegnome, The system I'm currently using is powered by 2, crown, power tech 3's, which can be run @ 8 or16 ohms bridged mode {which provides 1500 or 1060 watts accordingly}, or,can also be run in parallel mono mode, which can drive 2 or 4 ohm loads, and also provides 1500 or 1060 watts rms {0.05 thd}. Though very recently discontinued, the "power tech" line is closely related to the crown flagship,"macro-tech" series, and still very easily located, brand-new, and used. I hope this small bit of info helps you.

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    All such great options. As I read through them I realized that I made one error in my original posting that makes me feel like an idiot!:rollno: I am looking to run 3 8 Ohm cabinets MONO!
    Every amp that I look at runs stereo @ 2 Ohms, but nothing in Mono! I do like those Euorpean amps! Very cool looking. 1 space and 2600 watts.

12. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    If I were to take a regular stereo power amp, Y together the inputs so both sides got the same signal, can I run 8 Ohms on one side and 4 Ohms on the other? Does that create an impedance imbalance within the amp? Will that cause any problems?

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Most 2-channel "PA" amps will allow for a parallel mono setup, so you plug into channel 1, and the same signal is sent to both channels. Running a 4 ohm load on one side and an 8 ohm load on the other side is not an issue.

Tom.

14. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    How is running a unequal load to each side of the amp not an issue? Won't that cause stress on one side of the amp more than the other? I don't know. Will the impeadance difference cause any problems within the amp. I realize I can just turn up the one side to match the output of the other, but what is the physical effect on the amp?

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The physical effect could easily be less overall thermal stress than using both channels at 4 ohms. That depends on how hard you're pushing each channel though. Assuming your amp can handle two 4 ohm loads, it can handle the "mismatched" situation just fine. Pro biamped sound reinforcement installations do this very routinely. Relax, and enjoy.;)

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    All good stereo power amps literally have two seperate amps. One for each side. So each side does not care what the other side does. So loading each side different will not be a problem.

19. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Power Soft Amps - Weight is about 20 pounds.
    The K6 Amp list price is $5400
    The D2002 List is $4000

Way out of my price range!

20. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

My friend's GFA-555 was the best "bass" amp I ever borrowed...why can't I find an actual, dedicated bass amp with that sort of power section? Or can I, and I just haven't seen it yet? The thing is fantastic.