Straight up Yes or No Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Barnacle Joe, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Hi, I kinda want to do a setup on my bass, but I was thinking I'd see what a professional would charge. I tried doing the whole thing once on a cheap guitar and it worked out ok but took weeks of tweaking to get it just right, and I'm afraid of screwing up my bass. Anyway today I checked the local music store. Set up including neck straightening intonation, string change, the works is $25 and he had a set of strings he'd give me for 20. Seems like a deal to me, but i'm just curious if that is reasonable. Thanks
  2. Sounds like a good deal to me, as long as...
    1)The guy knows what he is doing
    2) The $20.00 strings are a high quality set and not some cheapo imports that are crap, if that is the case then it will all be a waste of time and money.

I charge $35.00 to $50.00 for this job, so the price he is chargeing you is about right. Money is not the issue here, it is the quality of the guys work and the quality of the strings.

Check with some other local musicians who have had work done at the shop and get some feedback.

Dave Starr: 8 string bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors
  3. Sounds reasonable to me, but I'd recommend doing it yourself. It's very handy to be able to say "This thing is completely out of whack", then have it adjusted properly a half hour later rather than wating to take it to the shop, going home, and picking it up later. Plus, I figure that no one but me knows exactly how I want my bass set up. You can always give it a try then take it to him if you can't get it right.