Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strait edge

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've heard the term 'strait edge' for years, but I only partially understand the implication. I believe that a person who is starit edge doesn't smoke, doesn't drink and doesn't do any type of drugs. Am I right so far? Can you drink coffee and still be strait edge? Do you have to have short hair? Do you have to listen to Black Flag / Henry Rollins? Does anybody even use the term strait edge anymore? Just curious.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The straight edge thing is blowing up into a huge thing down here in the hardcore and punk rock scenes. I just met another group of straight edge girls at a local show last night.

As far as I know there isnt anything about length of hair or genera apearances but in the more serious versions, any type of body modification is out. No piercings or tatoos.

In some versions basic drugs are out of the question. Tylenol, Caffeene, Advil, Antibiotics etc....

Other versions forbid premarital sex acts.

You'll usually see a blend of a few of these in any given group of straight edge followers.

Peace
    Nick

4. AFAIK, straight edge = no drugs,alcohol, or premiscuous sex. The thing about being straight edge that I think is kind of stupid is the fact that one could live their life this way without having some label attatched to it. I am technically straight edge, but i dont say, "Hey man, I'm straight edge," or write Xs on my hands, I just dont drink, do drugs, or have sex(though the last one is kind of by default).

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I thought this was long gone, last time I heard of it was more than 10 years ago...

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Why did Ian Mackaye (Singer from Minor Threat/Inventor of "Straight Edge") have X's tattooed on his arm... that he ended up shooting heroine through.

I guess I'm sXe but I don't say that I am because it's stupid. When I think straight-edge I think of some dork running around telling everyone who drinks/smokes that they are wrong/stupid.

I don't enjoy the fact that almost all my friends partake in the partakables but hey, it's their lives.

Anyone curious of my opinions of straightedge (as a straight edger :rolleyes: ) check out Brendan's link, that about sums it up.

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    In my view its mostly about an image, an image that many a 12-16 year old seem desperate to pursue.

I could claim to be straight edge as I qualify in all necessary feilds yet I dont feel the need to label myself in with a group that I don't care much for.

8. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Amen brotha'

:D

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks everybody for helping to clear that up for me. (and thanks Brendan for the link - funny stuff)

10. I don't do drugs, and probably wont. I do have long hair though, am I straigh edge? I consider myself to be.

11. my thoughts exactly. i agree with you too yoshi, but i dont know how to quote more than one post. any help?

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    In the strictest following of the staright edge ideas the point is to keep your body absolutely pure and natrual.

Most dont follow it that closely however.

Peace
    Nick

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Maybe it's just me, but the whole "straight edge" thing seems like a sneaky maneuver by the church to get kids involved, sorta like enforcing the values of the church by putting the label of 'cool' and 'punk' on it.

14. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I'm straight edge in the sense that I dont do things I feel are bad for my body and my mind. I drink a little alcohol at times... sometimes too much and I'm stopping that. I definately stay away from smoking and drugs, and that's my personal choice because I think its a waste of time and money.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I refuse to acknowledge straight edge.

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ive been living the "striat edge" life for years. When people come up to me and ask if I want to smoke,drink,have sex, etc... I tell them no I dont smoke,drink, have sex, etc...they then say "Oh, your strait edge...?". No, Im ME! I have made choices as to how I want to live MY life. Choices I have made for myself because of things I believe in. Strait edge is just another stupid label. Be yourself, not striat edge or any other stupid friggin label.