Strait headstock or bent headstock ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Strait ( Fender, stingray, sadowsky )

14 vote(s)
  2. bent backwards ( Ibanez, Citron, Spector )

57 vote(s)
  1. What kind of headstock do you prefer,

A headstock that's strait, or a headstock that's bent backwards a little bit ?

and please also tell me exactly why you prefer it.

myself, i vote for bent backwards headstocks, because it improves string-tension.
  2. I prefer the angled back because then they don't sound so cheap (ie Fender).
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The "tension" claim is disputed by no less than Rick Turner.

I just think the strings "bounce" or snap back into place better, because the tuning length of the string is kept "more separate" from the vibrating length.

There has to be some effect on sound with greater downward torque. The great classical guitar makers used/use the tilt back and they did everything for a reason.

Even on a non-tiltback head without string trees, making sure the windings are around the base of the tuning post makes the strings snap back better.

That's all IME.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A tilted headstock eliminates all the constructional and sonic problems a straight headstock poses.

Stringtrees are necessary to eliminate problems with string pressure that could have been avoided by a decent headstock design, and they very often fail to do so.

A tilted headstock is the way to go...or headless!
    I still like headless basses, but they seem to have become unfashionable since the retro renaissance of the late 90s.
  5. tilted...see above:cool:
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tilt back. Eliminates the need for string trees.
  7. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i have one of each. i also perfer the tilted back sort. :)
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tilt back. Besides the sonic properties, I just hink string trees are really fugly.
  9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    string tension, and it looks cooler.
  10. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I say both. The tuners on MM basses have this strange design that seems to "pull" the string towards the bottom of the post so you don't have to push it there. Very handy.

Also, the flat ones are good because thats the way they are on Fenders, and you can't go wrong with Fender.

But I would love to have a bent one too. I think both are just as effective, and the nut angle is not that big of an issue when it comes to bass tone and playability, so whatever.
  11. I no longer have a preference. I think it depends on how the design is executed. I have both (Sadowsky, which uses a bar and Zon which is bent). Most of the basses I've owned have been bent. The Sadowsky beats 'em all in terms of sustain, intonation and tuning.

So, I don't have a preference purly based on headstock design but rather how the entire bass design is executed. I would think it would be easier to execute a good bent design over straight. I would also think a straight headstock would require less wood?

12. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I have to go with the Tilted Generation here, I have both tilted and straight headstock basses and I find that the tilted headstock on my 5 string makes it the most playable bass :cool:
  13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Never gave it much thought really. I have had both. Noticed no difference.
  14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That's exactly how I feel, Jeff (and everyone else). I usually judge an instrument as a whole. If a bass plays, feels, and sounds good, I don't really care if the headstock is tilt-back or straight.
  15. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    What are string trees?
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

See that metal thing on the head of your Jazz between your D and G that isn't a tuning peg?
  17. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Straight is prettier (that's me for conservative) but bent is better for tone. And, all well done and a zero fret, you don't need a nut (e.g. BassLab)!

But.......headless is best.