Strange amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Sometimes when I practice in the basement through my Hartke 5500 head my wife complains of the muffled drone of the sound.

I was wondering if there is a smallish vintage-looking bass amp that I could get and leave in a corner of my living room and plug into occasionally to play. Our living room is very informal. I don't know ... something that looks cool ... maybe retro looking. Doesn't have to get loud at all, just cool looking with nice tone.

(p.s. I don't need any suggestions about playing through headphones).

2. Those are very cool looking ...

However, it would be nice to find something that wasn't in black, maybe tweed ...

I remember seeing some boutique guitar amps by Carr that were kind of a green color that were awesome (and expensive, of course)
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Click my sig link and see my livingroom rig :bassist: I have a spot in my livingroom that I practice and record (and surf TB).... it's firing at my back about 4 foot from my computer desk.

I've been considering over the years trying one of these Peavey Delta Blues combos for bass @ low volumes (and for my guitars). I've about chose the Dr. Z Delta 88 to be used with one of my current cabinets (waiting for the local Dr. Z dealer to get one in to try it out).
  4. Hart:

Yeah, that Peavey Delta Blues is the look I'm looking for. I wonder if anybody has ever played a bass through one of those????
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    How about just using ANY small combo, but get a hollow box-shaped furniture item that can fit over top of it to conceal it. To play, just lift the box off from your amp. You can get a really nice furniture-grade item, put pictures or nick-nacks on top, it could look really nice. Nobody would know your amp was there until you revealed it to play.
  6. The Mesa's look great. How much do they weigh? What are the dimensions? (For some reason I can't find these stats on the Mesa website). How much do they cost?

One little problem ... looks like there is no headphone jack on them.

7. Wings

Feb 6, 2005
    Bellport, NY
    Eric is right on the money!

I leave my Fender Pro 210 with the Pro 400 amp on top in the corner of our living room. Now don't laugh... I found a cardboard box that fits perfectly over it and cut off the bottom so that it slips over the amp and cab. I then put a table cloth over the box and presto... no more amp and cab. My wife put some pictures and flowers on the new table and everyone is happy. To play, I just take the stuff off the table, pick up the box and table cloth as a unit and put them to the side. When I'm done, I just put the box and table cloth back and everyone is happy.

8. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    If your wife doesn't like the droning sound coming up from the basement when you play, won't having a rig in the actual living room be even more of a nuissance?

Just wondering.
  9. Winston ... good question. I'm thinking that it might sound more musical while I'm in the living room.

Also, I don't always feel like going in the basement and I would like to have the option to practice in the living room, which is one reason why the amp needs to have a headphone out jack (which the Mesa's don't have).
  10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've got a Danelectro Nifty Seventy, little practice amp. It's got volume, low, mid , high and a headphone jack, the power chord is removable too..It's fairly "vintage" looking to the untrained eye and fits in better with wood furniture. All my basses are active, or have active pre-amps and I now practice with just a good set of headphones right into the bass, it works well for me...

(I think I saw a 2500W 4-10 & 2-15 rig with a built-in cloaking device on ebay!)
  11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The perfect living room amp is the B15R re-issue portaflex. Looks really cool and only makes 100 watts so you don't have to worry about the neighbors hearing you. I bought one for the living room because it went nicely with the B100R bedroom amp I already had. Which I got because the blue tolex went perfectly with the 1965 Gemini guitar amp in the den. New, the B15R is about $1250 but if you shop around for used you might do better. I sold mine on consignment at a local music store and it went for $700. Some guys who bought these things thinking they could actually gig with a 100 watt combo are anxious to dump them and get something they can use. So shop around for used. ;)