1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange attachment on bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City

As you can see, it has like this peculiar horizontal bar above the neck...really confuses me, never seen anything quite like it!

Anyone? (While we're at it, might as well ID the bass too :) ...cause who knows, I could be wrong, maybe it's not an attachment and the bass comes like this stock?)

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    :bag:

I bet there are quite a few of us old enough to remember the Roland G77 Bass Synthesizer! As far as I know the bar was there for styling and nothing else, although I'm sure someone will prove it helped with neck stiffness or something!

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i think those were some sort of bass and/or guitar MIDI systems and were fairly common in the early and mid 80's in the "new wave" genre. Roland was the one most commonly seen. someone else can probably give you more detail. i was a full on metalhead kid back then (now an aging metalhead) and eschewed anything "unmetal". :)

4. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    It's mostly for show.

Check out basslab.de for a currently-available model with a similar feature, the L-Bow bass.

5. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    It doubled as a M-16 A1, if a fire fight broke out.

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    It was the 70s. (Cool) Stuff happened. Or so I hear.

7. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    I went to quite a few "Roland" shows back then and they would preview all of their new equipment in a concert setting. MIDI bass was big back then-now what happened to that trend?

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes, I am (sadly) old enough to remember those. Although the Roland guitar synth was more popular:
    [​IMG]
    I believe the bar was for reinforcement of the neck, but obviously it didn't catch on.

9. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    People came to their senses and left keyboard sounds to keyboards and modules. There were always latency issues, as I remember it.

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I watched a guy over the weekend with a midi pickup on his guitar. He switched over and made it sound like a piano. I didn't notice any latency issues, at least not any that were specifically the midi pickup's fault. There's no accounting for his timing, however.

There's a lot of cool stuff that can be done with it, but the synth sounds just aren't big enough anymore (aka right now) to popularize them.

11. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks guys for all the answers. Really appreciate it :)

12. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    There's not much latency in those systems now. But back in the 70's there sure were. There were latency issues just up until a few years ago.

13. The claim is that the bar kept the neck its self from vibrating in order to prevent "phantom triggers" from the MIDI components built in to the bass.

The bass has passive electronics and MIDI pickups.

14. okay to be clear, thats the roland bass MIDI controller. Midi didnt come out until 1982. The 70's Roland synth bass looks similar to a Fender Jazz but the headstock is canted back at an angle like a Gibson headstock. EG, Phil Lynott used to rock one in Thin Lizzy. Dave Edwardson of Neurosis and Jesus F*****g Christ plays one (sans synth, he is missing the cable, hook a brother up? Anyone have an old analog roland guitar to synth cable?).
    It just looks 70's because of how the dudes are dressed ok?

15. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Oh yeah! Duh, it couldn't have been the 70's.

16. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey they look like they are wearing Pirate costumes, without the hat or eye patch..... So don't base the time period on the clothes... Actually people will allways dress like dumbass's no matter what year it is......

17. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    not the '70's . . . more like late '80's, early '90's . . . The bass player was Eusebio "El Chivo" Cortez . . . a really fine player on BG and, when I worked with him (as an audio engineer) in the early '90's, he was practicing BG, Contrabass AND piano every single day . . . he really inspired me . . . :cool: . . .

BTW, the lead singer/main songwriter, Marco Antonio Solis ("El Buki") has had a very successful solo career since dis-banding "Los Bukis" in the late '90's . . .

18. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Ahh thanks for the info! Yeah idk why but 70's just popped into my head for some reason, but I had my doubts about that. But yeah actually I've got quite an extensive Los Bukis selection in my music library, as I'm of hispanic descent and my parents used to play those songs all the time when I was a kid. El Chivo is a really awesome player btw! You're so lucky to have worked with him. His basslines on many of those classic Bukis' songs are really amazing. This song, "Me Volvi A Acordar de Ti", immediately comes to mind...really awesome bass-work on that one! :)

19. Gotta love the hash pipe around his neck and the drum fills that never manage to make it to audio!

20. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    This is what I heard back in the day as well