Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange But True

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonote, Jan 6, 2005.

1. I have 4 basses: an MIJ fretless Jazz Bass, a Reverend Rumblefish XL, a Hamer 2-TEK CruiseBass and an inexpensive P-Bass clone. I love all of them but lately the P-Bass clone has been getting the lion's share of stage use. It is basically a parts bass I bought to use as a beater. It has a mahogany body and an "Original '62" pickup. When I bought it, it had a maple neck with a maple board, 1 5/8" width at the nut. I replaced that neck with one I bought off e-Bay for about $25 (!) that has a 1 3/4" wide nut that looks like an MIJ Fender P-Bass neck. The neck pocket is wider than the neck by ~1/16" and I had to shim it to get the action where I wanted it. By all accounts it shouldn't sound good...but it does and it sustains like crazy. Musicians in the audience, my bandmates and sound techs have all commented to me about its fat sound. The other basses are all "better" by any objective standard but I just grin every time I pick it up. Maybe it's because I did so much work on it, but it has become my favorite.

Does anybody else have a "mutt" or "beater" that they use more than their "good" basses?

2. My 2 main basses are a Stambaugh 6 & Fender Jazz 5. I love the Stammie & would play it in my sleep if I could; everyone, it seems, who hears both prefers the $425 Fender. The really cool thing about the Fender is that the G string sounds like it has a phaser or something on it. Just the G. Neat, huh?

3. I had a situation a couple of week's ago where I was playing bass at a friend's church.

For saturday's practice, I brought my Carvin AC40 which I used to play as my main axe for over a year at another church.

I also brought along my wishbass which had never left the house before. I brought the wish because I wanted to see how it sounded with other instruments.

On sunday morning I left the Carvin at home and went with the wish. The tones were fantastic and blended very nicely with the 2 acoustic guitar/drums combination.

Let me tell you I was surprised.

4. well before i got my fretless my Conklin gt7 and my fender MIM jazz both get equal playtime, yet on all accounts the gt7 is a better instrument. the mim just feels right to me, as i became so familiar with it (playing 4 strings also forces me to be more basic and not overplay as much...)

but since i got my essex fretless jazz i can't put it down. i love fretless, and will be definitely getting more.

5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I love my OLP stingray copy. Picked it up on a whim one day at a local GC store. I couldn't believe how great it sounded at the price it was. After I dropped in the Seymour Duncan MM preamp and pickup system, my Ken Smith started to get a little jealous. This inexpensive bass just sounded awesome! It just had a certain "something". Very natural and powerful sounding. And it growls and supported a band better than a $3K dollar bass. There a big difference between sounding good solo verses supporting and cutting through a mix of a band. I sold off the Smith and bought a real Ray, which is my pride and joy, but the modified OLP still gets played alot and I always have a grin while playing it. In some ways, the OLP reaffirmed my faith that great tone and playability doesn't have to cost a king's ransom - it really turned my thinking around regarding fancy, expensive basses. Plus, with it's current modification it's within spittin' distance of the true Stingray tone. I always bring the OLP as a backup with me to gigs.

6. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I have an Ibanez SRX400 and I put a MM pickup in it, a new bridge and whammo. I gots me a great bass for alot less than I would pay for a new one.

7. I have three basses, a fender MIM Jazz, squier p-bass 1 and squier p-bass 2. the jazz plays incrediably well, but the squier 2, i bought off this guy here in town cause he needed money for prom. i wasn't expecting it to be anyhting terribly good, just something i could use for the rock shows ive played, but man its more then that. i think that squier hit the mark with this bass for me anyways. the neck doesn;t feel as fat as squier 1 but it plays so smooth and nice.i love it.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to have a bunch of fairly expensive (Ken Smith, Modulus, etc.) basses. None of them were really THAT much better than the Yamaha and Carvin I have now.

It took me a while (and a lot of money down the drain) to realize that your sound isn't just in the bass and amp.

Like everyone says, buy/play with your ears, not your eyes.

9. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    SteveC is right on the $. I have a pair of standard Lakland 55-94s which have replaced Fbass, Sukop, Nordstrand, Elrick, Sadowsky, Roscoe, Warwick and Modulus in my stable. These 2 are the plainest of all of those basses, one being a natural finish, and the other painted.

A great instrument is a great instrument, and a pedigree or exotic wood won't make it sound any better.

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Back in 1983 / 1984, I used to have three basses simultaneously : a Rickenbacker 4001, an Ibanez Blazer and a high-end neck-thru Apex (French luthier). All these played through a vintage SVT.

The bass I was using the most was the Ibanez, but I'm quite unable to tell you why...

Cheers,
    JL

11. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    damn, I wish my "mutt" basses were Lakland 55-94s.