Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strange buzz in my Trace V6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by corinpills, Jan 17, 2003.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Hmmm, I know I'm the guy who has been blathering on and on about how much I love my new Trace Elliott V6 all tube head and poo pooing any suggestions that tube amps are expensive to maintain. Guess we're gonna find out about that. It has developed a problem and I was hoping some of you gear gurus might have an idea as to what's going on.

At stage volume, there is a high buzz that sounds exactly like when the dust cover on a speaker comes loose or gets a rip. It's not a hum, it's a buzz and it's loudest on my low A. I assumed it was a speaker (though it seemed to be coming through both), but I couldn't see anything wrong. I took both 15s out of my cabinet and took them to a speaker repair place where they confirmed that there was nothing wrong with the speakers. I also confirmed that my ohmage was groovy. It happens with all of my basses, too. The one thing I haven't done yet is try the head through a different cab (that's where the pain-in-the-ass factor hof how heavy it is comes into play). Anybody have any idea? I'm going to take it in for a bench test tomorrow, but does anyone have any predictions.

The other thing is that the XLR out sounds amazing going to the soundboard, but seems to have spradic volume spikes that make it unusable. Related? I don't know.

Is this gear in a nutshell or what? You find something that you absolutely love and it has to have somethng wrong with it. Arrrgh.

2. Take it to a pro and have it completely checked out. It WILL be worth it.

The Trace V6 is my ultimate dream amp, just like a Ferrari 250GT SWB is my ultimate dream car. Keep the faith with it, but if you ever need to find it a new home, look me up.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Absolutely. I have loved the sound of this amp so much that I can't see ever parting with it and it will be worth whatever it costs to get it repaired. It's just curious. I'm usually pretty adept at troubleshooting (based on a long history of stuff breaking).

I don't think it's a loose tube (though one never knows). I've never heard of microphonic wiring before. Man, that's a weird concept to wrap one's head around. Are you saying that in old Fenders, the wiring creates a loop and picks up stray input?

In any case, I'll take it to my amp guy and see what he has to say. I'll report for anyone who is interested.