Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange buzzing problem with Victor Bailey Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JFN, Jun 4, 2004.

1. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

I originally posted this on the Luthier's Corner forum, but thought I might get more responses in Setup...

I am having a problem with fret noise/buzzing with my Fender Victor Bailey Jazz Bass. I string it with DR Highbeams, which I have been using for a few months now. The last set I had on for maybe three weeks, when I started getting buzzing on the E and A all the way up the neck. Raising the action did not help.

I bought a new set of Highbeams and took it to my tech (he is highly regarded and goes all the way back to the Gibson factory in Kalamazoo, which is where I live). He changed the strings and made some adjustments (truss rod, action, etc).

When I went to pick it up, the E string is still buzzing, even after he raised the action a bit more than normal. Other things of note include:

- He checked for raised frets and there were none.
    - The buzzing seems to be all up and down the neck.
    - The buzz starts about a half second or second after plucking the string.
    - The buzz occurs even when plucking lightly.

- *** When the bass is laid flat, it does not buzz. Only when held in playing position does it buzz (this one I totally don’t get). ***

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a similiar problem with a few frets on my Godin. Frets 7-9 or so on the D string.. buzzing is a second or so after plucked, and only when in playing position, not flat, so im also curious?

3. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

Update:

It is fret buzz that it is doing. The buzzing starts about a half second after striking the string. I first noticed it with a set of strings that were about 3-4 weeks old. My tech put on a new set of the same type, same fret buzz problem, pretty much all the way up the board. Reflief and action were fine.

I went back today and my tech had put on another brand of strings, same buzzing problem. He then raised the action much higher than normal and it was still buzzing.

Then, while it was laying on his workbench, with the neck resting in the padded vice type thing, we noticed that when striking an open string, there was this new rattling sound that is coming from the head stock area. Like something on the headstock is loose and rattling. Thing is, we checked and nothing is loose. Its almost like the rattling is coming from inside the neck, near the headstock. This does not sound good.

He is going to take off the strings and try to determine if the truss rod has some major problem or came loose or something. I have a feeling this bass may be going back to Fender for repair. Good thing I have other axes to play. Any one else experience anything like the truss rod malfunctioning like this. I'll post an update when I go back to check with him next week.

John

4. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

Well, I called my guitar tech today and he said he took off the strings and tapped on the neck and he could hear the truss rod rattling inside the neck. Apparently, it will need a new neck.

Has anyone had something like this happen to their bass?

Has anyone dealt with Fender on an issue like this? Were they good about taking care of it. I bought the bass at Musician's Friend so I can't exactly take it back there. I hope the local music store can help. I have bought plenty of other gear from them.

John

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I dunno my bass it buzzing, even with a neck adjustment, but that was by me. I should probably just take it Low Down Sound have them check it out. Only problem is I have no money.