Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange buzzing/reverb sound. Please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by crazyphil, May 9, 2003.

1. The bass in question: MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe.

The problem: The E-string gives off a strange buzzing sound.

When I pluck my E-string on any fret, I get a very strange buzzing sound. It is not fret buzz, but rather it sppears that the frequency of the notes is making something else buzz. It sounds like an echo-ey, reverb sound. I can't really explain it but it bothers me to the point where I don't want to play. Here is what I've done so far:

Strung the string through bridge as well as body

Changed the E-string

Removed pickguard and all electronics

Removed all knobs

Held down the bridge while plucking

Removed the batteries

Adjusted the action higher

Held down each pickup while plucking the string

Elbowed the bass a few times

Tightened the neck and bridge

Placed a piece of paper between the string and the frets, and plucked it at the 12th fret.

Removed all strings except the E and plucked it.
    ---

None of these things seem to fix it. It is not fret buzz and I have tried 3 different E strings. I'm really lost; any ideas?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    the springs on the bridge pieces of fender and fender look-alikes are notorious for this. they vibrate symapthetically with certain notes, usually lower ones. It's no big deal. It won't come through your amp at all. At least mine doesn't. You could always replace the springs with tighter ones, too. That will get rid of the buzziness.

3. HMMMMM..interesting...I will check it out when I get home tonight. Thanks!

4. I checked the strings and they are not the cause of the problem. I removed the next and knocked on it....it appears that something inside the neck (truss rod?) is making a sound. I tightened it and it's better, but still there. Hmm..

5. Hmm this rings a bell. Hambone was dealing with a thread a while back about a bass whereby when the neck was banged it vibrated.

Hope Hammy is around.. If not i'll see if i can track the thread down. Does anyone else still remember this thread?

:D:D
    Merls