Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange buzzing/static noise?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lateralus_84, May 22, 2003.

1. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Hey everyone. I recently purchased the ernie ball music man sub(with active pups) from a local store. It is a very kickin bass. I love everything about it.

Ok, now to the problem. I just started to notice this strange noise, and I'm not entirely sure where it is coming from. When I turn up the treble on my bass and amp(Ampeg BA115) I notice this slight electronic buzzing coming from the amp. Then when I touch the G string it makes this audible pop which sounds like a static shock. (could this just be caused from static electricity?... i do have carpet in my house)

I can't tell if it is my bass's electronics or the amp. I did replace the battery in my bass to see if that would fix it... no luck there. I am taking the bass in to the store this weekend to see if they can help me figure out the problem, but I just wanted to get some of your opinions as well.

Thanks in advance.... :bassist: rock on!

2. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    I just discovered another strange thing: whenever I touch the metal part (you know the little bumps... what do you call them?) on the pickups with my finger the static hum gets louder. :( What is going on with my bass? :confused:

3. it sounds like u have a grounding problem. I would check the wire going to the bridge thats inside the cavity. check all connections too.

i'll explain further later, i'm at work and really shouldnt be online hehehe

:D:D

Merls

4. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Thanks... I'll be awaiting your response.

5. *rubs hands* right i'm home now.

Okay open up the cavity of your bass. Often a plate at the back. Check all connections to the volume controls, and any wires you may find.

Now there is always a wire that goes to your bridge. *rubs chin* sometimes you can access it from the cavity, somethimes you have to go the hard yards and take the bridge off. This wire should be secured to the bridge to stop not only u getting shocked, but also to stop hum and noise etc. Many manufacturers just screw the bridge down onto this wire and it gets corrosion etc and makes a poor contact. So it is often adivsed to either solder the wire to the bridge or find some way of securing it, say by a tiny screw etc.

Thats all i can think of at this present time. Its not so hard to fix, many users on TB have done it. But if you dont feel confident, take it to a tech. But you'll be armed with the above information is you dont get ripped off.... "yeah mate you'll need a new neck and bridge" :rolleyes:

:D:D

Merls

6. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to take it in to the shop I bought it from. I'm not confident I can fix it myself. I just bought it not even a week ago, so it is still under warranty. They shouldn't give me problems. Thanks again.