Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange cabinet sounds!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phogchris, Sep 26, 2000.

1. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    My cabinets, a 4X10 and a 1X15 make a strange farting clacking type of sound when I slap the low B-string. This only happens on these particular cabinets, not my others. I am running a SWR Bass 750 into them. I guess I'm getting 375 watts per cabinet? Does anybody have any idea what it could be. I tried lowering the pickups, it didn't help. Am I clipping the amp or underpowering the cabs? Any help would be appreciated!

2. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    I'm not 100% sure on this one but it sounds like your B string is too close to the frets i.e. the action is too low.

You might try raising the action a *little* just for that string as sometimes the difference of only 1mm can make all the difference.

On the other hand it may be just that the B string is too loose (Not U'r fault, just the way they are) causing it to clank crappily against the frets, as opposed to a sharp punchy slap sound.

On the other hand if you have the option of transferring more of the power to the 4x10 (and a bit less to the 1x15) you may get a bit less of the farty noise (but at the same time you may loose some of the real deeeep bass). Sods law really!

Hope this helps

Niggy®

3. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thank You for the advice, i will try raising the B, which is actually tuned a step lower to A. I don't think its too loose, I expressly bought a Modulus Quantum 5 for the tight B-string, but I'm gonna try to raise it a little. Again, thanks!

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Didnt this happen with the Henry though? If thats the case, its the head. If not, then ill concur with the idea to transfer more power to the 4x10. 15s tend to get farty sometimes with a B (or A!), so less power will make it either go away, or just less audible. But i HIGHLY doubt its the setup. My modulus is tuned to G# right now (for fun), and yesterday was at A. And i keep ALL my basses with superlow action, and i never get the clicky sound. So i honestly doubt its the bass.

5. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Actually, the farting in the Henry was too much bass, this is more of a clacking or clanking sound, a percussive knocking. I'm not sure sure what it could be?!?!?!?

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Your string is probably hitting the pickup to generate the clack. Are there horns on your cabs? You might want to try turning them down on the cab itself if you can.

Another question: Does the rig fart when you play low notes fingerstyle?

7. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    The clacking sound is not present when I play fingerstyle. Also, I can't see how this low end type clacking/fart could be from the horn....I lowered the pickups, the sound was still there, but the bass sounded awful, so I raised them back up. I wish I could figure this out!

Thank you all for helping!

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check if it's coming from the cab's bass reflex tunnel or the speaker grille..

9. Weeelll, this isn't very constructive, but you could always join a Korn cover band! Clackety-click-clack.

Sorry, I see the humor in everything :D

10. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but I wonder if the drivers are bottoming in those cabinets. I've heard coils bottoming and it makes a very unpleasant sound. I say this because you maintain that it happens on some cabinets but not others. Does the sound suddenly go away when you reduce the volume? Anyway - hard to diagnose without being there, but maybe this is another possibility.
    Mike

11. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    When I bought my 4X10 I took the grill off to see the speakers and these screw braces came off and they seemed to keep the grill from getting too close to the speakers. I never replaced them and noticed that the grill is somewhat close to the speakers, are you saying that maybe when the speakers jump out, they are actually hitting the grill? This could be the answer I have been looking for...I'll try to put the braces back on!

12. Yeah, I'm definitely thinking that's your problem....but after you take the grill off, play thru that cab and make sure it ISN'T the speakers straining themselves; removing the grill will isolate the problem down to either the speakers "popping" due to max excursion, or the problem will be gone because they might have been knockin on the grill before without those spacers.

13. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I totally concur with Slaphappy. Give it a try! Those spacers under the grille are there for a good reason!
    Mike