1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strange cat behaviour?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'm curious if anyone has ever encountered anything like this:

I was visiting a female friend of mine in a different city over the last weekend, and she has a couple of cats, one male who was neutered a couple of years ago, and a younger female one.

Now, I was staying at her place, and we slept in the same bed, and in the middle of night we woke up to the smell of cat urine - turns out the male cat had urinated on the chair next to the bed. Now, this was very strange of him, as he is few years old and had never done anything like this. We shrugged it off and cleaned the place up, figuring it was just a strange coincidence, but on the following night the same thing happened - cat pee was all over the carpet.

We were speculating that this was because of some sort of social territory marking or a call for attention because of me sleeping in the same bed with my friend, but couldn't figure it out. The cat seemed perfectly healthy otherwise, so we ruled out any physical issue with him. I think I've heard that dogs can be quite jealouse because they have more defined social structure, but cats too? :confused:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yep. My cats will sleep in my bed with my wife and I, and they sleep where they want to. They will take their spot, and it's a battle to change it. You probably unwittingly invaded his space, and he didn't like it.

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Cats are very jealous of their attention. I have heard of cat's doing this when a new baby came into the home. My wife's parents cat attacked her youngest sister in her crib several days after she came home from the hospital. They heard the cat going in and caught it quick and the cat only scratched her once. Needless to say they got rid of that cat.

Also, there is a condition called Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD). My parent's cat got it and he started peeing in strange places all of a sudden. Nothing seemed wrong at first and then a couple of days later he just turned up seemingly paralyzed. We thought he'd had a stroke or something, but it turned out to be FLUTD. We caught it just in time for the vet to be able to save him.

4. My deaf cat paws at the water bowl, splashing all the water out- then whines loudly until someone refills it again...
    :rollno:

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Had a girlfriend who's cat was extremely jealous of me. He got me once down the back of my neck when he was behind me on the couch.
    She didn't believe me since he was fixed till I had her smell it.