1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange Correlation

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by zeppelinfreak, Mar 20, 2009.

1. zeppelinfreak

zeppelinfreak

Mar 29, 2007
    Have you ever noticed how when you practice and improve, the rest of your band majically plays better too? (speaking on big band terms mostly). For instance, my band is playing Birks Works, and I was phonin it in for a while. And then I actually practiced it, and like majic, the entire band got really good at it.

2. Have you ever experience the following?
    You end a gig and you feel you play really good. You look excited for your bandmates and ask for confirmation on how good the gig was and sudenly they all tell you the gig was a *****.
    Sometimes if we really don't get involved in the group sound we just judge what we have done and not how the group has played.
    I am not suggesting that this is your situation but something that must be taken into account.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Playing a gig with a player, no matter how good, that is just phoning it in sucks. I've played with some killin' players that obviously wished they were somewhere else and it dragged the whole band down.

You have to be 100% engaged in every tune at every gig no matter how ******. In every way. That's how the phone keeps ringing. That's how you keep loving the **** out of playing music. Elevate every single time you play.