Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange distortion coming from EA cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rob_d, Dec 23, 2003.

1. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I'm having some trouble with my setup. I have an Iamp 600, going into a EA VL-310

The 310 sounds distorted when I play through it. This was a sudden occurrence. I did three gigs with it this weekend and it was fine. I plugged it in to practice yesterday and it sounds distorted...particularly on lower notes on the E and A strings. It's almost a sound like when your active bass' battery goes dead.

To make sure that wasn't the case, I tried the bass in an old Hartke combo I have...and it was fine. I also put the Hartke head on the EA cab and the distortion problem returned. So I've eliminated the bass and EA head as problems.

I don't see how I could've blown a speaker on the cab since I don't think I've ever had this thing even up to half of it's full power. I'm yet to contact EA on this, but just thought I'd throw this out here to see if any of the experts have any idea what might be going on with this.

2. Most people will come back and say: Battery, speaker blown, yada yada. Looks like you already ruled those out.

You definitely want to call EA and give them the same run down. Can you borrow another head and plug it into the cabinet or plug your head into another cabinet to deduce whether it's the head or cab?

If it's the head, then there might be some bad wiring connections inside and you'll want EA to take a look at it so it doesn't void the warranty.

The only time I've had any distortion coming from a speaker that wasn't blown was when the wires attached to the back of the cone were rattling the cone when I played. I just tweaked them out of the way and problem solved.

3. just re-read your post...forget what I said about trying your head with another cab...looks like your cab is definitely the problem.

Bad speaker cable? Try playing and twisting the cable in the jack. It shouldn't be scratchy or anything.

4. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I had sort of the problem Mo' talks about w/ a cxl110. The wire going from the terminal to the back of the speaker cone had pulled away part of the cone paper. It made a subtle distortion sound. The speaker wasn't blown (no voice coil rubbing) but *did* need to be replaced. John did it N/C.

davej