Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange distortion like buzz coming from SWR LA-15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Apr 21, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Hi, I own a SWR 100 watt LA-15 combo amp and at band practice it seems to let off a distorted, buzz like sound just when I play notes. I'm guessing its my amp because I've tried adjusting everything on my bass and it [the buzz] still haunts me. I don't know what it is, I don't think its too loud volume, because I've tried numerous EQ and master volume settings and the buzz is still there. Also, my amp's bottom is uneven, so it tends to rock back and forth. I noticed when I sit on my amp the buzz disappears. Strange... could someone possibly point out what is wrong?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Stick your head right in front of the spoeaker and make sure it's not the speaker buzzing (I would doubt it if it stops when you sit on the amp!).

Check every screw on the amp, tighten them all down. Have someone else play through it and put your hand on various surfaces (the grille, the control pnael, handles, jack panels, etc.) to see if one is vibrating and causing the buzz.

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Blown Voice Coil.

4. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Blown voice coil?! :eek: You think so? Anyone else have any opinions/suggestions?

5. I dont think the voice coil would decide to quit just because you sat on the amp....Try what Brianrost suggested and let us know what happens. (Oh, how long have you owned it and how long has it been doing it?)

6. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I think I've had my amp for about a year. Aye... I'm playing it right now and I can hear something rattling. Mainly at high volumes and lots of bass is when it rattles most. I'm not sure really, but theres also buzzing coming from that smaller speaker in the upper right of the amp. I looked inside and I tightened the speaker to the enclosure but it still rattles. It sounds like its coming from the back than the front.