1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strange (?) distortion overtones

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 40Hz_of_Love, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Those of you that've read this thread know that I recently acquired Digitech's Bass Driver pedal that I actually consider keeping. Anyway - while playing with it I discovered some strange sounds that can be heard on those samples:

Bass Driver (disto) -> Marshall Echohead

Bass Driver (fuzz) -> Ibanez PT9 -> Marshall Echohead

It sounds like some octave up overtone, almost like a guitar playing some strange but musical high-pitched noises on top of bass notes. Is this normal for all distortions? Some distortions? Have any of you heard it before? If yes - which pedals were involved?

And ofcourse - any general comments about the overall tone are quite welcome.

2. A couple of my Devi Ever fuzzes have similar overtones, although one is more harsh and less musical sounding, as well as my old Foxx Fuzz Wah with the octave switch on. But those are the only fuzz or distortion pedals I have that do it.

I like it at times, especially with a more melodic bass line.

I found that using a Dark Boost after, eliminates them completely, and using something like a Harmonic Percolator before enhances them. They also can sound really good with a chorus.

MM

3. wooow! I love those clips! The distortion is tight and punchy and those harmonics sound pretty cool! I need to try one out... :) ... GAS :eek:

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    That doesn't sound normal. I could see how it could be pretty annoying and unwanted. I've never encountered sounds like that with analog equipment, only digital stuff. I would suggest that it has something to do with the pedal's digital technology. The effect sounds cool though.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

They enhance the 2nd and 4th harmonics.
    It's a common trick with fuzz pedals, many do it. Black Cat, Guyatone TZ-2, Prescription Depth Charge for example.

6. Thanks! You own/owned all of those?

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    No, he just knows everything.

8. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Haha.

Some pedals are meant to add a synthesized note an octave above the pitch you're playing. That's not what your problem sounds like to me and I don't think it's something the Digitech pedal is meant to do.

9. I don't really have a problem. I actually like this sound very much. ;]

10. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Well either way your pedal seemed to do it at certain points of the phaser's sweep so maybe you can find a way to control it and make it less unpredictable.

11. Actually it's easy to control, because it only appears when tone knob on the pedal is cranked or when I'm playing really hard with a pick.

12. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I can believe it because it seems to be related to high frequency content but it sounded inconsistent to me in the clips.