Strange eBay Auction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ebozzz, Feb 21, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I couldn't believe this when I saw it.

MTD Beast 5 string Bass

Now I love the Beast but why oh why would anyone pay $800.00 or more for a Beast 5 when other dealers, like our very own Adrian Garcia , has them for much less complete with pickups? :confused: Can anyone help me understand this? :)
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    to quote P.T. Barnum - "There's a sucker born every minute". Or was that W.C. Fields?
  3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I know the phrase. I don't know who said it but it certainly fits in this instance! :)
  4. 5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    It looks like we're all being pretty smart about it, though. No one has bid on this or any of the other auctions for this guy.

Good job team!!
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Methinks this seller will soon become more familiar with Adam Smith.:D
  6. the "sucker born every minute" is P.T.Barnum. i know this because i was in the play last year, personaly i hated the play but the audience loved it so there we go :D

7. Also interesting is the fact that the seller described it as "tobacco sunburst," but later realized it was actually red, as the picture shows. That takes some skills.
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I know who the seller is but I won't say anything. Some of the members here are pretty high on him. He's got quite a few basses listed now. I really like the Beast and the Grendel. I couldn't afford to to even try it with the amount that he's trying to get for the first bids! I'd have to talk to my man A.G.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Come on man let us know who this guy is thats trying to take advantage of someone. That way we a beginner wont be screwd with.
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You're hot Kong! I think you already know who it is.
  11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    He's calling the bass new, but it doesn't have any pickups! Is it so new that he snagged it out of production before the pickups were installed?:rolleyes:

I wouldn't buy a paperweight from this guy.

Take note of his zero feedback and sunglasses for his eBay I.D.
  12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

In all fairness to this seller, he has been around for a while. I've even read threads where other Talk Bass members were very happy with dealing with him. From my personal experience, I can only say that I contacted him regarding an item, he promised to get back to me but for some reason he didn't. I wound up dealing with the person that I mentioned earlier in this thread instead and it's been a blessing for me. :)
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I know him too. He's a dealer in NY. I have no idea where those prices came from.
  14. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    The same thing was going on with Korean made Spectors about a year or more ago. I think it was Spectors. Anyway they were going for auction on ebay for a reserve about equal to purchase price at music.yo. Heck I think it was like $389!!!!:eek: People thought they were going to get a great deal on A Spector. And they were going for upwards of 500 to unsuspecting bidders. I was itching for a new guitar at the time and almost bid. With some research I found out the true value of these. What a scam. Get suckers to over bid, get the cash, and buy them at music.yo and make a couple hundred bucks. Maybe it was even music.yo,who knows. It went on for several months!:(
  15. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    The beauty of eBay is that nobody ever pays more than they're willing to spend - it's the very nature of proxy bidding.

Value and worth are very relative - what may not sell for 100 bucks here in Phoenix may well go for 200 plus in New York, or 300 plus overseas. While I agree that 800 bucks is too much for that bass, it may still be a good deal to someone, for whatever reason, and if the guy can sell it for that much, bully for him. Obviously, nobody's bidding on it, so his gambit isn't paying off, but you can't fault a guy for trying.

Now, if he was attempting to pass it off as a different make or model to boost the price, that would be unscrupulous, but there's nothing wrong with placing high reserve or starting prices on an auction site. It will either sell, or it won't.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Well said and very true.
  17. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Beetle,It was you??? Oh my!! Just kidding. I know what you mean about what you are willing to pay. I have paid premium prices for things that I had to have and a few extra bucks didn't really matter. As far as ebay goes. If I want to bid on something, I always find out it's value before I bid, so I know what it is "I am willing to pay".
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You know, I've looked at that auction that I listed again. Do you think that he meant that he's willing to add whatever pickups you want for that price? The list price of the Beast was around $1000.00 so $800.00 for a new Beast, or with a nice set of pickups, probably isn't that unreasonable. One without pickups for that price is a joke though!

Some of the other auctions that he has don't even indicate which bass it is. They just say "Czech made MTD". I can tell the difference between a Beast, a Grendel and an American made MTD but some might not be able to. Very vague.
  19. I always thought it was Willie Wonka:p