strange feedback help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by suasa, Sep 19, 2004.

1. okay heres the deal, I sent my bass a ibanez srx 300 in to get a new input jack put in it last week and so it came back with a new setup and input jack that cost me 80 bucks anyway the bass doesnt play any better so the setup was useless but thats beside the point. So I plug it in and its got a killer hum goin on like it hums louder than it plays its horrible until i touch the strings, the output jack, the knobs, or the amp basically anything metal on the amp or the guitar, then the hum immediately dies down but say i want to play a harmonic, i cant because u really cant hear it because the hum is too loud its really that bad so any ideas on what this could be i was thinking some sort of grounding wire but i really have no idea and i dont wanna take it back to the shop because its a huge hassle for me?? thanks in advance

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    outside of your problems with periods it sounds like a grounding issue
  3. yah i know i have horrible grammar when i type its a really bad habit but any ideas on how to fix this did the music shop guy just forget to hook up a wire or what??
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Well, first, your music shop guy sucks if he charged you for an $80 setup that did nothing and a new output jack that's causing feedback. Take it to someone you know from word of mouth is a tech who does quality work.
  5. yah my music guy seems to be getting worse and worse i bought my bass from him cause he was the only ibanez dealer in town but now i think i am gonna move to the only other music store in town but u see my music guy didnt do the setup he sends it to the only real technician in town and i guess she sucks although i believe the other music store has a technician now so i will have to chek it out but i guess this isnt something i can fix myself eh?
  6. You spent $80 for services that weren't rendered properly. You need to take the bass back and get the grounding issue taken care of. Seriously.
  7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i dont know how ibanezs are exactly but there should be a little wire connected to the bottom of the bridge, all it has to do is touch it. Guess he forgot to connect it, probably the most rookie mistake you can make.
  8. right i forgot all about that wire under the bridge i will check that out tonight and i will defenitely not be going back to him anymore unitech will be my music store of choice from now on.