1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thisSNsucks, Oct 26, 2006.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Hey I'm wondering if you guys could help me out. I have a MIJ Fender Precision that is totally awesome except one small flaw. I have a horrible fret buzz at the 15th fret of the A string. There is no buzzing anywhere else on the neck except the 15th fret on the A string. Any ideas on what would cause this to only occur on 1 string and not the others? I already changed strings so that wasnt it. If you do know, how could I fix it? Its not often I venture up that far to the neck, but it still annoys the heck out of me. Thanks in advance!

2. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    It starts to buzz on the 15th (C) . . . Does it buzz going further up the neck? You might want to try raising the saddle a smidge.

My first thought was your fret had been snagged and raised at that point but then your E string would be buzzing too right?

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Stupid me, I meant 17th fret, so D on the A string. Doesn't happen anywhere else on the neck except that fret at that string. I have it set up pretty much as close to perfect as it can get so I dont think its a setup issue but I could be wrong. I'm thinking maybe the fret itself is in somway damaged or cracked maybe? I'm really clueless on what it could be

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    frets can pop up anywhere on the fingerboard. sounds like that fret is high right there.

5. actually, if it's buzzing on the 17th, then the 18th fret is high or the 17th is low. you might want to either level that fret, or take it to a pro for a quick fix.