Strange GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pantsman, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I was recently in a 2nd hand store testing out amps when i came across this old, crappy, no-brand 5 string bass. For some reason i decided to try it (mainly to test a 5 banger through the amp), at first feel the bass was ****e, the strings were about 1.5cm (like 2/3rds on an inch) from the fretboard and it was so light it felt hollow, ohh and the strings were rusty and caked in crap. I plugged it in and i nearly wet myself after just one note, this thing sounded awesome!!! it had a great old school hollow thump tone (P-Bass style) the neck was fast however the action slowed me down alot!

The best thing is it is only AU$265!! or something around US$180!

I need a 5 string too! so i am thinking, i need this bass, but would changing the strings and set up affect that old school tone?
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It very well may. Dead strings usually produce a much different tone than fresh strings. Hence the reason why Jamerson kept his on for 7 years at a time. Also, the action does affect the tone a bit too. What you could always do is carefully take off the strings without cutting them, put on a fresh set. If the tone you want isn't there, you can put the old strings back on. If the tone isn't QUITE there, but it's just a matter of the strings being new, you can just wait until they break in.
  3. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Setting up a bass won't change the tone much, it's a playability issue.

Changing strings will change the sound, but I would imagine any decent set of flats would get you the old-school thump you want from the bass.

Sounds like a great find. :D
  4. sounds like it, the body needs some TLC and maybe a paint job, or my dream bass!!! cover it with that fluoresent fake fur stuff !! ... :bassist: now i need to find a 5-string set of flatwounsd :bawl:

Once i get this there will be some clips posted for sure :D
  5. Can't you boil the strings... Not to make them sound new, but just to look new... Id hate to play strings covered in some caked on residue left over from God knows what. :rollno:

6. pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    i had a similar experiance a while ago...

i walk into the local music store, just like evrey other day, and i see an old beat up no name 4 string music man copy with a tone and vol. i was like this should suck...

lo n behold i pluged it in and it was an amazing bass at 99 bucks...i still am extremely tempted to pick it up :bassist: :cool:

i need like another 20 bucks and its mine...any one got a lone :help:
  7. i reckon the flats are the go, might even get it de-fretted, if it turns out to be worth it, cover it in that fake fur stuff :D can anyone say funk? :p