Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange Godin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    After seeing and hearing the great tone and quality of multiple Godin guitars firsthand, I find it somewhat strange that they only produce mediocre basses (or so I've heard). I was wondering if Godin will ever make a more upscale series of basses to match their guitars, and also, I would love to see a bass with the synth possibilties that Godin guitars have. Any chance we'll be seeing either of these in the near future?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont consider their basses to be mediocre, they need a good setup to play like butta.

3. In response to your entire paragraph, no.

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I wouldn't call their A4 and A5 basses mediocre - quite the opposite, actually. IMHO, of course. ;)

5. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I disagree, I have a freeway model, and IMO is a great sounding bass for the money, with a good setup how it was said, for the price of a cheapo jazz bass you get a bass with trough body stringing and very satisfactory sustain and overall brightness.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I played an A5 and it was AMAZING. Great plugged-in tone, but I was looking for a true acoustic, so I held out for a Tacoma.

Neck-feel on the A5 was mighty nice, and construction was really good. Maybe it was just an exceptional one, I don't know -- I've only played the one, but I would have bought it.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I too was impressed with the couple that I have played. They have had a P/J on the wall where my kids take music lessons and I pick it up and play it the whole time that I wait for them every week. Plays like butta....

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Not at all an exception - I've played multiple fretted and fretless A4 and 5s, and they've all been uniformly superbly built, sounding, and playing. If I ever have the need to pick one up (an acoustic or "coffeehouse"-type gig) they're the first I'd go to in a heartbeat.

9. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    Speaking as an owner of an SD4 p/j Godin . . .
    Mine stays in tune, has extremely low action, the setup remains great even through seasonal weather changes, and produces really warm tones. I love mine. I wish they would push their basses more. It seems as if they have about 3 basses to the 50 or so guitar models they manufacture, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to produce a synth model. That's too bad really. Godins are a good value in my book.

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Another SD4 owner, I wouldn't consider their basses mediocre by any means. More like bargain busters, the SD4's built like a tank; solid neck joint, doesn't go out of tune, and can be setup for very smooth playing. It neck dives slightly, and the tone was a little too bright for me (no longer an issue now that I switched to flatwounds). I've also played an A4 which are incredible feeling and sounding basses. It's true Godin doesn't push their bass line as much as they should and it's a shame because they're very solid instruments.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Let's see...you have tried the guitars and think they are great but have "heard" that the basses are mediocre?

Better go try some, they're quite nice. Easily the equal of MIA fender at much lower price.

I own an original version Acoustibass (the double cut one) and it is sweet. Nothing fancy, just really nicely put together and a beautiful tone.

12. No.

13. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Hmmmm...."mediocre", eh? I am afraid I have to disagree. I am a professonal bassist; I do studio sessions, sideman gigs with national and international artists, as well as my own solo career. I have a numberof basses...among those are a fretted Godin A4 and fretless Godin A5. These two basses are used as my primary instruments....perhaps 90% of my work or more (and I make my living playing bass). The fit and finish on these are exceptional (head and shoulders above most other production basses). The sound is incredible. A lot of producers and engineers who grimmaced when I first brought one of these to sessions now call me requesting these basses. They get much more playing time than my 67 P bass, 69 Jazz, MTD 535, pre-Gibson Tobias Standard 5, or Modulus VJ. My A4 IS my primary bass for most gigs I do, in a wide variety of styles with quite a few "name" groups and performers. Audience members, othermusicians and sound people are all quite amazed by the variety of tones I get with this bass (using nylon-core strings!). It is not a one-trick pony; I can slap, tap, chord, play "conventional" fingerstyle....
    Mediocre...I don't think so.

I ahave also owned a few of the Godin solidbodies, and found these to be likewise exceptional (my older model BG4 with EMGs has been a "go to" bass for a modern sound.).

Exceptional basses from a most innovative maker

Max

14. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I am glad to see the reviews you guys have mentioned. I will definately be checking out a few in the next couple months.

thanks

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The only thing mediocre about Godin basses is their marketing. They have a terrific product but have less than stellar communications about them.

When I went to buy my first bass, I was going to buy a Fender MIM Jazz, not a bad bass, but when the knowledgeable salesman suggested that I try a Freeway 4 instead (for approx the same price) even as a novice I could feel the quality and superior playability of the Godin. More tones in it too then a single coil Fender.

I also have a BG-5 which is what I will call my most versatile bass. Our worship team does a lot of different styles (old gospel, piano-oriented hymns, some real rockin choruses, jazz-influenced R&B style gospel and more). If I had to bring just one bass to practice, it would be the Godin.