1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange Happenings with 2008 Jazz 5 String

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jasper383, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    A few days ago, I strung up my relatively new 2008 American Jazz 5 string with new Dunlop strings. Setup the bass as usual. Nothing fancy, no new gauges or anything. I played the bass for a couple hours that day, then put the bass in the case.

3 days pass.

Today, I get the bass from the case, and all the strings are slack. Not the usual new strings, gotta tune up a quarter step because of new strings, but slack. I have tuned the bass back up, and everything seems ok.

What happened here?

2. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Hmm.. either

A - Your saddle screws loosened and dropped your action by a LOT.

B - Your tuners are slipping

C - Disastrous truss rod problem!!!

That's all I can think of... anyone else???

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Is the neck still straight? Did anything else change, or was it the tension and nothing else?

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Try a new set of strings. Could be a bad set!

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It probably is not an indication of a problem.

Did you seat the strings when you installed them? Most players don't and that's why they have to retune so often until the strings "settle in".

Did you bend a right angle in the string before inserting in the tuner post? Did you subsequently bend the string at right angles at the point it leaves the tuning post?

If you didn't do all of the things mentioned above, the string probably "settled in" by taking up the slack that otherwise was introduced by string installation technique. No need to be concerned unless you find that the problem continues to happen beyond the next three or four tunings.

6. Yep…sounds like a string up that slipped…

Did ALL the strings slacken? If not all the same amount then, it’s the neck moving…otherwise, it’s most-likely a string up issue…

BTW…I’ve seen people do some HORRIBLE things to strings when they put on a new set…like grabbing them and stretching the bezonies out of them…(you didn’t even know strings had bezonies, did you ;) )…anyway, that’s a great formula for wrecking your nut…

All you need to do, is to tune them ~ ½ step sharp and then press them firmly down in front of the nut and bridge saddles to establish good witness points…detune and tune back up again…

Also, always tune to pitch by approaching from flat and going to pitch…never detune from sharp down, it will always slip a bit this way and leave the pitch a bit flat from where you left it…

7. +1
    Since you didn't say if you put the angle in the strings before inserting them into the tuning post, or whether you stretched the strings - then didn't touch the bass for three days afterward, I'd say slack strings would not be a concern. Just play it!

8. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio

:eek:

9. Ragist

Ragist

Mar 4, 2009
    Someone rigged your tuners!
    I know its stupid but it happened to me! my sis totally messed around with my bass and I didn't know, the next day when I came back the strings were loosened and it scared the crap out of me

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Never overlook the possibility that someone is messing with your head!

11. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    DANG!!!!!!

I "stretch" me strings by PLAYING the bejeezus out of them, and not hanging the bass from them.

some good slapping-&-poping will set them in good

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I've stretched my new strings, similarly to the guy in the video, many times and never wrecked a nut. Not quite that extreme, I don't lift the bass up that high, just in case a string might snap. But it's never happened yet...
    It works for me for 35 years, YMMV.

13. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    A--Saddle screws are exactly where they were after I set the bass up with new strings.

B--Wouldn't tuners slip all the time, and not just in the case? They held tune while I was playing.

C--I worry about the truss rod. However, if the truss rod "gave out", wouldn't the string tension then pull the neck into a bow, with tremendous relief? It appears to be the opposite in this case--the neck pulled into "reverse relief" because the strings slackened.

No one touched the bass after I put it away.

I don't "seat" the strings when I put on a new set. I just string the bass up, replacing one string at a time, and continue to tune up until the bass holds tune.

Would an entire set of strings be bad? Seems very unlikely.

The bass tuned up properly this morning, and plays perfectly well. I am mystified.