1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange hum in Promethean 5110 with passive Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arn, Nov 24, 2010.

1. arn

arn

Sep 19, 2006
    Near Amsterdam
    Hi there,

I have just picked up a Ibanez Promethean 5110 combo. I love the sound and bass that this small combo deliveres. Way better than my old Ampeg BA-112. Also very cool that I can take the lightweight amp out of the combo and use it with my Aguilar cabinets. (It can't beat my DB750 but hey...:smug:)
    There is one thing I don't understand. When I use a passive bass ('67 jazz), the Promethean produces a hum. It sounds a bit like the hum you get when you roll down the volume of one single coil PU. When I switch to an active bass (Musicman or Lakland JO 5 with aguilar pre) it is gone. When I switch the JO to passive, the hum is back.... The Promethean is quiet without a jack cable plugged in but with a cable which is not connected to a bass it also produces the hum... Weird isn't it?

I have tried different jack cables and places in the house

Does anybody knows what is wrong with my new promethean?

Cheers, Arn (the Netherlands)

2. Nothing. The passive pickups are picking up hum from your surroundings. That's my take on your problem.

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I guess BassmanPaul didn't read this part:

Yes, that sounds weird. I don't believe mine does that. I can plug my P (passive only) in tonight and confirm.

Have you tried a different cable? If it hums with ONLY the cable plugged in, then it sounds like the cable might have something to do with it?

4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    +1 different cable

Also I would try it with no lights or any other electric devices on.

Currently I do not have this issue with my Promethan.

5. arn

arn

Sep 19, 2006
    Near Amsterdam
    Thanks for the replies! I have allready tried it with a diffirent cable... Does not change the hum.... The promethean is still under warranty so I might return it to the store but that is an hour drive and i was hoping on an easier and faster sollution! Thanks anyway

6. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    It's not the amp or it would hum all the time.

Mark

7. Yes actually I did. It is quite normal for an unterminated unbalanced cable to produce hum.