1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strange Idea - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by matty78943, Aug 7, 2017.

1. matty78943

matty78943

Oct 13, 2016
    Somewhere
    Right so basically i have been playing bass for about a year now and my friend is gonna get a guitar very soon (next few days) and weve been druming ideas up for a band/project.

so far we've decided on like a j-rock/electro style sound and this is where we have a slight problem. there are no drummers where we live, this has been the reason of failure for 2 other projects with people but we had an idea.

me and him are fairly good with computers so maybe using a drum machine? or some sort of software for an electro backing beat while he plays guitar and i play bass but i will play more prominantly for an experimental kind of sound.

so my question is this,
    is this likely to work and if so then what software works well for electro/synth style backing track and is either free or low cost as we dont have much money! (student life)

p.s hes looking at either strat,tele or an ibanez and i play an epiphone thunderbird or a harley benton pb-50 at times.

Attached Files:

HolmeBass and Michael Schreiber like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Aberdumbie, wintremute and matty78943 like this.
  3. matty78943

matty78943

Oct 13, 2016
    Somewhere
  4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Can't help you with software. I'm sure there are many options.
    With regard to the idea, check out Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine from the 1980s.
    2-guys with live guitars/vocals using backing tracks for everything else.
    They had quite a career from that format. Nothing strange there.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It worked for They Might Be Giants for a long time, and Ween as well.

HolmeBass likes this.
  6. matty78943

matty78943

Oct 13, 2016
    Somewhere
    what about for a faster electro/j-rock style?

7. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Here's another idea. There is a lot of online collaborative writing going on at the moment. Perhaps see if you can find a drummer to write tracks and record them for you.

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  8. matty78943

matty78943

Oct 13, 2016
    Somewhere
    eh to be honest i would rather be in a duo because me and my friend get along well together and are more "lone wolfs" than particually social people and we want a unique sound but thats a great tip and one i will remember!

9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Okay cool. If you change your mind pm me and I may be able to hook you up with a drummer/writer.

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  10. ComesATime

ComesATime

Dec 12, 2012
    Even if it hasn't been done before, make it work! There's a lot of free stuff out there now. I think Fruity Loops offers a trial, too.

I was reading an interview with a recording engineer a few weeks back, and he said one of his biggest frustrations is that Google takes the creativity out of it. Instead of messing around until it works, people just Google. I know...I do it, too. It makes life easier, but eliminates outside the box solutions.

Smashing Pumpkins have used drum machines. The band Alvvays uses drum machines at times. Look at a person like Grimes. If you watch her KEXP set, she's sitting on the floor in the middle of all sorts of gear and building the tracks as she's going.

matty78943 likes this.
  11. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    See if you can groom a drummer. Make the investment in a basic drum set in your rehearsal area, and invite someone to come over and use it. They can get by with drum pads between rehearsals, or something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-DD65-...F8&qid=1502136867&sr=8-1&keywords=Yamaha+DD65

Used they are about $160.

Or try something like this to get someone started...

Amazon.com: Drum pad kit: Musical Instruments

Learn on Youtube..

Is there a drum store near your home? Place where peeps go to take lessons? I'm recommending all this cheap stuff because you sound like you are fairly young and probably don't have a lot of cash.

12. matty78943

matty78943

Oct 13, 2016
    Somewhere
    we dont take lessons as im self taught bass and he dosent play (yet) and we dont even have that much as we dont have jobs so we would rather use digital/sampled drums or a synth backing track than learn drums as well

13. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    I think you are obligated to follow up on this, even if just out of due diligence. A drummer who is interested in J-rock and electro music is going to be better for you overall than a drum machine, assuming you can get along. You don't have to commit to anything, but this type of thing doesn't usually fall out of the sky.

Novarocker and matty78943 like this.
  14. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    I fully concur. I try to be as open minded as possible, good ideas come from everywhere and in every form.

15. heres what we did...

we recorded all our demos and ideas for the band using drum loops and then when we were ready to actually record, we had the drums rerecorded

16. I bought a Zoom MRT drum machine, and it is really fun.
    Sounds great, cheap to buy, easy to program, midi compatible, small, runs on batteries!

Maybe use something like this to write / record songs, and if a drummer comes along, then great, but until then you can play shows with it, very reliable.

17. I'd wait to see if your friend can learn to play guitar...

Herrick, Nashrakh, fttfbass and 8 others like this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Hydrogen.

Originally designed for Linux. Now has versions available for windows and Mac. Free for the download and very usable.

main-window.

If you have some money to spend and can't afford Sony Acid or FruityLoops, there's always Magix Music Maker. They have a free version as well as paid editions. But the top of the line is only $80, so it's not out of reach for most people.

Also, the publishers of a relative newcomer BTV Solo are having a promo for their beat software. It's $7 until tomorrow. Can't vouch since I've just played with my copy a little. But it seems to work as advertised.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  19. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    You'll want Ableton Live. There's a free version, and it'll do everything you want and more!

monsterthompson and Nashrakh like this.
  20. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Check out The Kills.

And don't start raising goats unless you've thought about it for a long time, and you just can't not do it.