Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange, I'm faster with bad technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ok, so I play in a metal band as of late, to be exact, a Stoner/Doom metal band. I know, I know, genres are stupid. The main thing you need to know... very Black Sabbath influenced. And as you know, Sabbath was known for slow heavy grooves. Cool, no prob. But as you also know, Sabbath also had some faster parts too, which Geezer busted out fingerstyle, and it got that awesome "Wub" sound.

In order to do this, I find myself playing right next to the neck and using a rather agressive flailing pound instead of my former self, who played funk/rock stuff near the bridge, using minimal motion.

Here's the strange thing: When I use the more clumbsy rock technique, I find I'm going a lot faster. I still have trouble keeping up sometimes, the band seems to want to be a bit more thrashy these days, so my fingers gotta fly sometimes.

I'm not sure what the point of my thread is, but... is this weird? That my near the bridge, slight motion technique is slower than my near the neck slam on the strings technique? I'm still not as fast as I'd like to be, but strangely, when I'm really warmed up, I get Steve Harris esque speed, then I do this :D :smug: :D Then I realize, that he blows me out of the water, then I do this :rolleyes: :( :crying: :bawl:

2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm using 3fingers and i can play 16th notes over 200bpm which is faster than anything i have ever heard steve harris play on a recording, still not very fast though..

dont really know what you are talking about but if you wanna become really fast then i would suggest you to start use 3fingers, i know you can achieve the same speeds with 2fingers but it's so hard to do scales when you are playing at very high speeds..

dont know if i made any sense at all.. :rolleyes:

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Maybe its the string spacing thing?

4. It doesn't sound to me like you're necessarily using bad technique. There's nothing wrong with moving a lot if it doesn't wear you out. You're just playing in a different spot.

5. Look at this way, at least your not limiting yourself to one particular technique! I don't like it how some people say 'this is the way I play and I'm not going to change it.' The best bassists are very versitile in their techniques and they can do much more with their right hand than thought possible. I dont see things really as good or bad technique, more like, this technique or that technique. In closing, versitility=good.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Right on, it doesn't hurt my fingers in any way, but it is a bit weird looking.

Suckbird: I'm not calling Steve Harris ultra fast, but he's fast on (for a popular example) the break on Run to the Hills. And that's the speed I achive on a good day. It's not fast by modern metal 3 finger/death metal standards, but when I get going on three fingers, I'm slower. It's something I gotta work on.

7. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    wut?! u can play just as fast with 2 fingers as with 3?! Is this true?!

8. Two fingers are pretty darn fast, and three are pretty slow if you're not good with them.

9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    no i cant, but if i would practice using 2fingers, maybe...

kiwi kid on this board can play like 16th notes at 250bpm using 2fingers, that's way faster than i can play using 3fingers... but of course, i've only been playing with 3fingers for like 6months or something...

10. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Wow Suckbird 1/16 notes at 200 BPM is Really fast , can you play it stable with a metronome??
    Can you make a video so i can see it ,please?? (It's not that i don't believe you i just never seen anybody play that fast).

for me it's very hard to hold up to 16th notes on 120 BPM. :oops:
    Plus when i play as fast as i can somehow it's harder for me to play the same note 1/16 than to play a 16th notes scale.

(I can double the speed if i play up and down stroke with my 2 fingers but this way i'm very unstable)

Adi

11. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    I don't believe it. Not scales and not for any length of time. I would LOVE to hear a sample or, better yet, see a video.

12. He did post some a wee while back. Try a search maybe?

13. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Want video as well.

14. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Suckbird
    I'm still waiting to see your ultra fast 3 fingers playing 1/16 notes at 200 BPM.

Just though i should bump it in case you havn't been here since my post...

Adi.

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I don't know his name, but at one time he was the fastest sprinter in the world - he had completely wrong and bad technique. Some of the greatest golfers ever had very poor technique. In virtually everything that requires "technique" there is somebody who defies all the rules and is great. Hendrix would have been a guitar teacher's nightmare. I realize this doesn't answer your questions, but it's something to think about.

Skel

16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I would love to, whenever i find out how...

17. adisu

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    Don't you have a video camera ??(even a lousy one just to film it).
    I think even 30 sec is enough to understand how 1/16 @ 200 BPM sound of BG.

18. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    i do have a digital camera which can record small clips but you cant hear anything, i've tried before... and the quality sucks too..

19. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    Maybe we should start a "Buy Sucky A Video Camera" fund. It would be worth it to see.

20. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Well, check out colorado bulldog by mr big...

i could be wrong as i've only heard the song on guitar pro and it says that billy sheehan is playing 16th note triplets at the speed of 150bpm, that would be 16th notes at 225bpm... playing 16th notes
    at 200bpm isn't as fast you seem to think and i think alot of metal bassists can do it...