1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange Kern IP777 Happenings...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 13, 2010.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ok,

took my kern pre to my usual tech, cause there seemed to be something rolling around inside the chassis. i'm not a tech, and i dont play one on tv, so i let my trusted man deal with it. was told that the effect loop's tube wasnt even connected to the rest of board! but after he did, the kern now sounds rather mushy w/ the low B. i.e. if i hit the pre hard enough, suddenly, the low B just sounds rather mushy mouthed and overdriven.

i tried changing out the V1 w/ a JAN philips 12ax7, and its much tighter now, but my demeter pres are dramatically tighter and punchier. changed out the other tubes including the EHX 12ax7 in the kern's loop, and still kinda mushy.

any other tech wanna gimme a hand?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    do you have a schematic for it?

if it sounds worse now, and you don't use the loop, i'd have him try putting it back (disconnect it again ), at least temporarily to see if that is actually what is causing the problem.

but if the loop has a true bypass switch, or switched jacks, it should be out of the circuit anyway.

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Did you try jumping the effects loop to see if it has an affect?

I miss my Kern.

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Those were my two thoughts Jae.

Try jumping the effects loop to see if it has an affect on the sound. And try having it disconnected temporarily to see if it addresses the problem. If it does, see if your tech can install a bypass switch.

Did you talk to your tech about the problems you're hearing.

BTW: I just got my hands on a Kern and I'm loving it. Thanks for turning me onto this gem.

5. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    You know who to email when you get sick of it!;)