Strange low tension strings on a 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I got a 5 string Cort Action V DLX a couple of months ago. Even though it's very well assembled for it's price and feels comfortable physically (the main reason I bought it), after a couple of rehearsals with my band I found it's sound hollow, lacking good attack and too soft, resembling rather an even growling.

I have already lost any hope and even put it on sale on our local craigslist, but today I had another look at it and I noticed that the strings (from the vendor, I haven't replaced them) are made of very soft metal. They seem to be standard gauge, but the tension is very low - much lower than strings of comparable gauge on my 4 string axe. They move a lot even when I play with the slightest touch.

So can it be that soft strings cause this poor sound? Can soft metal be the cause of the low tension? Can low tension cause bad attack and tasteless sound?

The bass has an active onboard eq, can it be the cause?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Changing strings and battery should have been done the day you got it.

Mushroo and prokfrog like this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I own a New Cort B5 plus (with Bart MK 1 and Markbass preamp) few months ago, the stock string is D'addario EXL 165, .045-.135.
    The stock string sound nothing special and tone is getting to dark side after few days playing.
    The first set i replace with Elixir Nickel Nano 45-130 (.045,.065,.080,.100,.130 non taper)which i think a great match with Bart MK 1 pickup like my previous Ibanez SR705 MIK, but the result not like what i am expected.
    After 3 days, i swap with Dunlop Nickel Superbright 40-125 and the tone get growl and better open sounding than both previous string set. The .125 B is the most tone improvement. Overall string stiffness is better comfort than EXL .
    The only downside with Dunlop string is she dint stay their tone lasting , the tone decay after 2 weeks even i dint have sweaty hand....

Your Cort Action deluxe V come with different pickup but same preamp, so, Hopehelp.

4. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

it might not even be because the strings are low tension, old strings and even some new strings can give a soft even thumpy tone.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    You should remove it from sale, put new strings on it (and battery) and try again. Even new basses can come with bad strings, secondhand basses often do.

6. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I've already given it a proper setup, it improved playability, but not the sound. I need some time to recover from the blow before getting back to it lol

I replaced the battery immediately. The strings were fresh and I just left them. The thing is I generally use cheap strings, nevertheless all my other basses sound way better than this one.

7. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    When you say "fresh" are you talking about the strings that came on it? Or YOU put a fresh set on?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021