Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange neck rattle

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 13, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I am getting a strange rattling coming from what seems to be somewhere on the neck, when I play the first fret on the E. It only happens on this fret, and it's not rattling from the fret. I tightened all tuner bolts, checked to see if the truss rod nut was loose, and even tapped on the back of the neck and it doesn't seem to be coming from any of these places. I thought it might be the nut, so I put a finger of the nut slot while I pressed down on the first fret with another finger to see if it would stop and this didn't work either.

Any idea what else it could be? It's not overly loud, and I'd say it's more audible unplugged than plugged (unless the tone is cranked).

2. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Ok, after playing around a bit, I notice that the rattle only shows up when I pluck closer to the bridge, but it still sounds like it's coming from the headstock end.

Could it be that some basses just have some strange quirks about them? After all, with wood, metal and glue, nothing can be quirk free always right? :)

3. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    My school's bass does the same thing, except it rattles no matter where you play. Almost like it has sand in the neck kinda thing?

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    mmmm...no, not really like sand. I'd say more of a buzzy sound, but it's not fret buzz.

5. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Is it possible there is too much room in the truss rod cavity, or the truss rod was not properly fitted into the cavity and it just rattles? Just a thought.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Try touching the springs on the bridge pieces while playing this note, and tell me how it goes.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I thought of that, but I can't imagine that Jack wouldnt've properly fit the truss rod. I did try shaking the neck or tapping on it and nothing sounds loose.

Trevorus - Yea I'll try that, but it's hard because the buzz goes away too quickly. It does sound closer to the headstock but my ears might be playing tricks with me.

8. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    You sure it's not coming from a loose strap button screw? I had a problem similar to that with my old bass.

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'll double check, but it really does sound like it's closer to the headstock. If it's something that is just one of those anomolys and I have to live with it, fine. It's not super noticeable, but I can tell its happening.

10. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    My bass buzzed when I switched to a lighter gauge of strings (the buzz came from the bridge), probably because I didn't do a proper setup on it or something... It's fine now that I switched back to my heavier gauge.

Did you maybe change strings to a lighter gauge?

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nope, I stayed with 105-45. The only difference is I'm using flats now.

12. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    A ha. Check your nut. I had a similar problem with a bass I just finished defretting. The nut slots, once filed deep enough for the fretless setup, were slightly too wide for the flats I put on. When an open A was played the string would buzz. You can check this by pressing down on the string above the nut. If it stops the rattle, then you'll have to adjust your nut slots for the flats. As a temporary measure I folded a piece of paper a few times and placed it in the slot around the A. It killed the buzz instantly, though I'll still go back and fill the slot slightly with some epoxy or something as a more permanent solution.

-Nate

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I tried pressing down on the nut slot and it didn't seem to help, although it was hard to fret the F and press down on the nut slot too :) I did think that the string might be vibrating, so (even though I know this would make the string sit too high in the nut), I took a piece of toothpick and stuck it in the slot, and while the string wasn't even really in the slot anymore and nothing to vibrate on, it still buzzed.

I'm trying to remember if it was doing this when I had rounds on or not.

14. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    I it know this thread is long dead, but i am curious on how it panned out. I am having the same problems with my bass, but it is doing this when i play on 3 different strings and it is not fret buzz....

Any info would be helpful....

15. sometimes when you adjust the truss rod the neck is straight when the rod is loosened or straight and it doesn't fit tight against the fingerboard or neck inside the channel. Try tightening your truss rod just a bit and if it is the problem, the rattle should go away. It's more likely that no dampening material was used all along the channel than a badly fitted truss rod.

16. mrsal

mrsal

Jul 14, 2011
    my warwick does it if i don't use the warwick tapered strings because the slot on the saddle isn't wide enough for the dr's that i use, but my amp doesn't pick it up...