Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange Neck Warp

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by werbo1, Mar 19, 2005.

1. On My MTD Grendel 4 it seems to have gotten some strange neck warp. Around the first four frets the treble(?)(G String side) is dipping down, causing an unevenness of the neck. Near the 5-7th fret it evens out though. The Bass sounds fine but i want to know if there are any long term problems.

On a side note, when changing strings is it safe to take them all off at once and then back on, or should I do them one at a time - like take off E, put on new E etc.

2. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    As to the neck warp.. Before you did anything, I would measure the distance between the top of the fret and the string on you g and e strings from the first to the 7th frets.
    Just to see that your eyes are not playing tricks on you. If it is really the strange situation you describe, you should check your nut to set that the g side of it didn't move up somehow. If you have a really big gap at the first fret which becomes smaller at the second, it is likely the nut was jarred loose. If the nut is ok, you may want to check your truss rod tension. Tightening it will make the neck flatter and should flatten it on the top of the neck more than the bottom. However, if its working right, it should work on both sides of the neck equally. I would tighten it by no more than a quarter turn and leave it for a half hour, then remeasure.

As to changing strings, I don't think it matters. However if you are changing to a different brand or size, you may have different tension, which may require a truss rod adjustment in any case.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.

3. That does sound strange, I concur to double check what you are actually seeing. Could it be fret unevenness?