Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strange Noise, blown tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vorago, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Alright, I have a problem with my amp. when playing my tweeter seems to generate some kind of muddy fuzz, that increases while playing lower frequencies---->on my low B it is worse then on my high G. The noise seems to be coming from the tweeter, but I'm not sure. Aren't tweeters more into high frequencies then low ones, and therefore, shouldn't the noise increase while playing higher notes?

Assuming the tweeter is blown, how about replacement?
    How much does a new tweeter cost? Is it hard to replace etc etc.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it could be air noise around the tweeter, or it could be a blown woofer where the sound is hard to localize. Temporarily disconnecting the tweeter and reattaching it in the cab may giev you a better idea, but don't leave the tweeter unattached. You could also turn the tweeter attenuator all the way down to isolate it as well.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    ok, what's a tweeter attenuator? :eyebrow:

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a tweeter attenuator is a "volume control" located on the back of the cabinet to adjust the volume of the tweeter. usually straight up is "flat", all the way to the left is "off" and all the way to the right is "boosted". you may not have one. What kind of amp/cabinet is it?

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Muddy fuzz sounds more like an air leak. The tweeter would probably make a much sharper sound, (or nothing, after it finishes failing).

Could be around a speaker, could be an extra 1/4" jack "whuffling", could be other things too.

Take a strip of lightweight paper, a piece of tissue is ggod, and go over the whole speaker while strumming on the low B to keep it going. Hold the strip along the cab surface.

The leak will flap the paper a lot. When you are near a speaker it will also flap, but differently. I think you'll "get it" if you try that.

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Alright thanks guys! Well, I've figured it isn't the tweeter, it seems to originate from my input! :eyebrow: If I press my cable hard enough into the jack, the noise becomes less of disappears.. :eyebrow:

8. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    OW, never seen an air leak WITH the plug in place.....but it could happen.

Could the jackplate be loose? Should be some screws holding it in, but if it were bent or there were a lump of glue under it, etc, it could be leaking.