Strange noise when amp is cranked

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phishoutofair, Nov 27, 2005.

1. phishoutofair

Nov 27, 2005
    Hi there,

Im not sure what exactally is causing it, but it the amp (combo) is a Trace Elliot 712, and when it is turned up about halfway on input and output, it sounds as if the speaker has a big tare around the foam. Thats just a guess, what it sounds like, is it likely to be that?
    I also thought it may be the ports on the front, they are just a sharp edge in the wood, but thats not really likely is it?
    If it was the speaker, what would be my best option (best means cheapest, ;-) for replacing the speaker. Eg, would i lose out a lot if it placed one of these in there;

Or would it be a really stupid thing to do....
  2. First thing to try - set the EQ on your bass and your amp flat - no boost no cut. Try turning down the input gain and if the noise stops then turn up the master to get the desired volume. If the input gain is too high you'll get distortion. Of course, it may be another problem.
  3. phishoutofair

Nov 27, 2005
    Yeah, nah its not distortion. Or if it is, its a very organic sounding distortion (but it isnt).
    It sounds like flaps of foam hitting each other, really really fast.

Basicly this is a question of replacing the speaker, and if i will hate myself for replacing it on a budget, or should i hang it out and save up...
  4. If you're certain it's the speaker, look into getting it reconed. It's cheaper than a new speaker.