Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strange observation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Feb 19, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    As I've posted a couple of times, I visited Bass emporium last weekend. I spent a couple hours playing basses that quality wise, were lightyears ahead of what I am used to playing.
    This is when the strange part starts. On Monday when I picked of my faithful Yamaha BBG5S, It sounded like a totally different instrument. Much more alive, with a crispness and punch to the attack like I didn't think was possible. That was just the beginning. Tonight at my weekly praise and worship band practice, I was playing things better and laying down a better groove than ever before in my life. As some of you know, I've only played for abut 18 months, so my chops are still developing every month.
    The question is, has anybody ever played a great bass, and that changed their approach when they got back on a less quality bass? I can't figure it out, not that I'm complaining.

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I dunno if this is an apt comparison, but you might relate tuBass...

I went to a tuba/euphonium convention at Ft. Meyers outside DC a little while ago, and got to play tubas that were a LOT better that I have ever experienced (Meinel Wesson 2165 *drools*). When I got back to my little old 4/4 St. Petersburg tuba, it was a totally new thing. I don't know if I actually sounded better to myself, but maybe I just had a better appreciation of it... I don't know. Ever had that type of thing with tubas?

It could be mental, but as far as I know, it could actually be something increasing in skill.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Actually , I've played a lot of $6000-12,000 tubas (for a while I was the tuba rep for one of the biggest retail music chains in the world) that I didn't think played as well as my Cerveny Piggy. I may have appreciated it more, but I can't say that I felt like a better player on my own horn after having played a more expensive one. Funny things about those 2165's, Some are great, but I've played a few that were real dogs. Give me a culbertson for a real BAT. (Big a** tuba)

4. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My private instructor, Scott Cameron, has the prototype MW2165, the one made by Warren Deck. It has writing and measurements all over it, and it has a lot of custom mods. The tuning slides are double walled (I dunno the right term), and it has no spit valves because Warren Deck didnt like them or something like that :confused:, and its bare brass, as well as a few other mods I probably don't know about.

It has the most godly voice from a tuba I've ever heard... Granted... it's all his playing.

That tuba, by far, is the MOBAT!

(mother of all big a** tubas ;))

heh.. sorry for dragging your thread off topic :meh:

5. [​IMG]
    tuBass
    glad to hear you got the feeling
    its meant to let you know there is more coming through than just what the instrument will allow?
    if you have ears to hear...then listen..
    its a familiarity and contempt thing allied to the one you know is better than the one you dont
    whose music are you into just now
    we are using matt redman a lot
    and some keith green classics
    God bless
    :cool:

6. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA

Yes.

It also happens when I get some unexpected break in playing, like vacation or something. I come back ready to wail, to the best of MY abilities anyway.

7. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I wanted to try playing a tuba.........but I looked for an hour....all over the instrument..........and couldn't find the input jack. How are ya' supposed to play it if ya' can't plug it in?

RB

8. its because on alot of higher end basses and so on, it shows how bad u are as a player. so ur forced to player better.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I wonder if the magic rubbed off those other basses? Maybe there's some guy in the store going, "Piece of junk - sounds just like my Hondo...." :eek:

Wulf

ps. playing other instruments can give you a new perspective on things, and since a good proportion of the music you make comes from what's inside you, I guess that could have an effect.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's said that if you buy an used instrument, there's still some skill and vibe of the previous owner stuck in the wood. I hope that no poor newbie ever gets my old basses.. :D

Anyways, I think on this case, it's the new perspective. You got to feel all those different basses, so now it's easier to feel how your own bass is different than others.

11. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It's got a built in amplifier. Really. It does.

12. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    "It's got a built in amplifier. Really. It does."

You must be right! I hope it's a least 2,000 watts as I wanted to use it in a parade. Can I use an extension-tuba with it----for bigger parades???

RB

13. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't know the exact specs or power rating, but I can hold up the bottom of a 60 person marching band in a parade :)

14. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Nick!!! If you even TRY to hold up my bottom, especially in front of all of those folks in a parade, I'll be forced to hit you over the head with a gong mallet!

:D

RB