1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange Overtones on new E String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cbrophy, Dec 29, 2011.

1. cbrophy

cbrophy

Nov 11, 2009
    Central MA.
    I just changed strings on my 08 MIA Fender P. I went with the 8250M replacement of the stock string(I like them, the stock string that is). I know the new 8250M strings are not the same as the stock strings...I believe Fender strings are now made by D'Addario(correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not thrilled with the change. First, the taper on the E string is not long enough to fit over the saddle properly. I ended up stringing through the bridge instead of through the body. The problem I have is, there now seems to be strange overtones from the E string that I cannot eliminate. Has anyone ever run into this with ANY string they have used? If so, what is the fix? or do I perhaps have a bad string....any help appreciated!

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    JTE pointed me to pickup being too close to the string on one of my basses giving me bizarro overtones. That's where I'd look first.

The second place I'd look would be for twists. I found that on a bass that was driving me crazy once. I wasn't expecting that. Loosen the string enough that you can take it off the post and see if it untwists itself.

KO

3. cbrophy

cbrophy

Nov 11, 2009
    Central MA.
    I will check both! Thanks for the heads up

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    THIS