Strange P-Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Foxton, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Foxton

Jul 12, 2000
    After CBS bought Fender in early 1965, there was a limited run of P-Basses in 1966 (I believe) which had a slab body like the early ones and maple neck. All the hardwares however, were standard to the 60's period. I think I've seen John Entwhistle using one.
    Any information or suggestions?
  2. BassGruv

Nov 15, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If your talking about a slab board, I've heard that a few '66 have them. Mine, doesn't. Bummer!! You can tell by looking at the edge of the fingerboard toward the tuning pegs. If the edge of the rosewood is curved, its not slab. If it's straight, it is. The main advantage, as I understand it, is for refretting and radius work. Since my '66 is not one of these I haven't paid it too much attention though.
    Good Luck!!!
  3. Slab body and a slab fingerboard are totally different, I have a slab bodied musicmaster, not my cup of tea. Or it might just be the fact that the tone is weaker then many import copies ive played.
  4. Do you mean the Telecaster bass?

I think this was produced between about 1968 and the early 70s. It looks almost the same as the original P basses.

The veneer fingerboards were on Fenders from late 62 until early 65, I believe (though it may depend on model). The rosewood board was introduced in 1960 and for the first two years were slab. I don't think the veneer boards went on until 1966, but for precise details you need to post the q on the Fender Discussion Page.
  5. Foxton

Jul 12, 2000
    I meant Slab body not a slab fingerboard. I'm attaching a picture of Skip Battin (ex-The Byrds and FFB) playing one of those.