strange pc needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Ok, this is weird. My browser keeps crashing for no reason.

Simple answer would be to get another browser, right? Well, Internet Explorer, Opera, and Firefox are crashing all the same.

Sometimes, there is no error at all. This always happends whenever I click on a page with Java on it, the browser (regardless which one) will crash and in that case I'll get no error message whatsoever. It will simply dissappear.

But usually I get a an error message followed by a "send error report" message and even if I do, the link I'm told to click afterwords will simply lock up the pc.

My pc is also crashing itself on a regular basis now too. This isn't the first time its happened. I get a blue screen error, but its not a windows error, it looks like its coming from the BIOS.

I've reformatted three times and have gotten this error all the same.

This isnt supposed to be happening, I just bought this pc 2 months ago! (athlon 64 system).

!!! :mad: :bawl:
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Is it hot? I know Athlons run really hot, and with a stock fan, they can lock up a lot in warm weather. Might try opening the side of your case and put a regular desk fan or floor fan on it and run it for a while, see if it goes longer. Of course this only applies if the enviroment its in is warm.

Other than that, sounds like a hardware crash if you have reinstalled whole OS and the OS still locks up.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, that sucks. Could it be software interacting with the 64 bit processor, and causing the crashes? You might try resetting the bios. I have seens this work on quite a few problems like this. Also, is your RAM the right type and speed? Usually, the computer will not start up if it isn't, but stranger things have happened. Also, you may want to see if there is any software that could be causing the problem that was recently installed. I am not really familiar witht he 64 bit systems, but they can't be too different from the 32 systems.
  4. Well, heat wouldn't cause web browsers to crash. What OS are you running? It seems like more of a software issue than a hardware one. Hmmmm. Worst-case scenario is to format it, but it shouldn't come down to this. Could it be virus/spyware-related? I'm kinda stumped.

Btw, I seriously doubt the 64-bitness has anything to do with it.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well he said he reformatted 3 times and the OS locks up as well, thats where the heat idea came from. I was going to suggest checking java console versions before I read that.
  6. Good point-check the cpu temp in the bios and tell us what it is.
  7. I first thought it was temperature related also, but that doesnt explain the browser crashes, the errors I sometimes get when trying to install programs.

I wasn't getting any of these errors before I installed my video card drivers. There may be a good chance thats causing my browser to crash. But that doesn't solve the random crashing of the pc where I go to a blue screen of death, which appears like its coming from the BIOS.

The OS itself isn't locking up. I've installed three different windows already (all XP Pro)
  8. My computer does the same thing, only mainly caus I download anything and everything. I do like those hundred of smilies in every email, and all those fun new screen savers...

My suggestion is delete useless stuff like "My computer" and the whole "Documents" folder. Everything will clear up from there.
  9. It does sound like it could be driver issues. Like I said before, I don't think this sound like a hardware related issue.

At one point windows would lock up for up to 10 mins on bootup everytime. I reformatted it, and it seemed ok, then started up again. Well, it turns out that the problem was my logitech keyboard drivers; I had reinstalled them after the format, causing the problem again. I simply uninstalled them, as I never used the special keyboard features, and all was well.

It very well might be some type of hardware driver. Try uninstalling drivers until it works.

10. this is a brand new pc, I only have maybe 3-4 gigs of stuff on my entire 80 gig harddrive, so that wont help.

Another error message! When I go to Display, I get this: "Some of the configuration parameters reported by the graphics driver are invalid. Windows will ignore these settings"

Perhaps a video card problem? I'm running an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and I'm well past my warranty, so I sure hope its not a video card problem.

I've already tried reinstalling the vid card drivers and I get the same error message.
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've been hearing of quite a few people with this problem lately. I wonder what it is.
  12. Do you have the newest catalyst drivers? Go get 4.7 off the ATI site. First though, uninstall them and reboot, and see if you have the problem using the windows default drivers.
  13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I recently had the same problem. I bet its the video card. I installed the Radeon 9800 256k card and my system just kept locking up or getting "The Blue Screen Of Death." Try swapping back to your original video card and see if your problems go away.

I returned the card as the Radeon was not compatible with my motherboard. ATI was of no help trying to figure out what the problem was. Great customer service :rolleyes:
  14. Could be drivers, could be compatibility issues, or memoryfaults. Have you tried using an alternate driver for Radeon cards, such as Omega ? They solved some gaming-issues for me. Out-of-the-blue crashes are usually caused by faulty memory-chips, when you're certain that it's not software bugs, try changing the RAM.
  15. I was having trouble running a program a few months ago and the readme file suggested installing the newest drivers for my video card. I did, but soon after my system became very unstable just as you described. I ended up installing a slightly older version of the driver and everything has worked fine since.