1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange pedalboard failure

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AFellowLinguist, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I ran into a bit of a head-scratcher, and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out the issue. At my most recent gig, my entire board refused to work. The signal chain was:

Bass -> Sadowski Preamp/DI -> Empress Comp -> Darkglass VMT -> Darkglass B3k -> Darkglass Duality -> Catalinbread Belle Epoch -> Amp

With no pedals engaged everything seemed normal. I assume this is because they're true bypass. But when I switched any one of them on, there was no sound coming from the amp at all. However, I know that they all had power (lights were turning on). I went through each pedal alone (i.e. Bass -> one pedal -> amp), and it was the same story: sound with the pedal off, no sound with it on. They were all powered by a Voodoo Labs PP2+. I also tried going through individual pedals and while powering them with a different power supply (guitarist's pp2+), but that didn't work either. Strangely enough, that power supply worked for his pedals. I also tried using different power cords, outlets, surge protectors, etc. and nothing changed. When I got home and tried the board again, everything worked as normal. I assume it must be an issue with power at the venue, which is unfortunate as I'd like to play there again. Any thoughts?

2. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    The Voodoo won't furnish the power required by those pedals the way that you had it configured at the venue?

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Wow dude you have me stumped. I would have answered like the guy above but I can't figure out how individual pedals in the bass->pedal->amp set up wouldn't work if that was the case. Or how your guitarist's setup worked and yours didn't. And it makes even less sense that it was happening to every pedal and not just a couple. I have had that happen before but it was never the whole chain. And if it was the interaction because of power issues, the one off pedal would always work.

Sorry dude - no idea

4. Could be a bad cable, and whenever you activated a pedal the pedal board shifted to make the cable cut out, then when you switched back it cut back in? Ridiculous long shot, but I have had something very much like that happen to me before. Very annoying.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What you describe will happen if you have any one of them hooked up with the signal cable backwards. Go through all of them and make sure your input/output daisy chain is right.

6. jez79

jez79

May 2, 2004
    Canada
    I agree, the only reasonable thing i can come up with is you plugged the pedals in backwards, input and output swapped
    ?

7. This makes sense, but I didn't change the configuration of the cables/pedals at all from when it didn't work at the venue to when it did at home. It's a mystery!

8. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Input and output jacks swapped when you were on stage?

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well the thing to do now is test each pedal by itself. Keep going up the line until you lose your output and there's the culprit.

10. I did it myself 2 days ago, wah at the very start of the chain I had backwards. :help:

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    OP did you figure it out??

12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I hate it when people disappear after issues like this as it can be a good opportunity to learn a solution to a bizarre problem without having to live it.

13. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    To the OP (if you're still out there haha), were you plugged into a DI after your board? I didn't see it in your message, but wanted to clarify.... maybe something plugged into an external DI were swapped or something?

Was your amp and board plugged into the same outlet? Did you try different outlets for your board?