1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strange pre amp question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by liljawn, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Working on a project i've had in my head for awhile. Wondering if maybe someone on here could answer a question or two. What I am going to do is wire up two pre amps in the same bass one a Pbass pre amp the other a Jbass pre amp. I have a stu hamm urge II that im taking apart and redoing. Im going to expand the pocket on the body so it will have more room to house the two pre amps and also expand the slot for the batterys.

So what im doing is cutting a 2nd jack hole and going to have two pre amps running side by side and 2 jacks for input one for the jazz one for the P.

I plan on shielding the body well but if theres any complications any of you would know of let me know.

Why am I doing this? Because my stu hamm is pretty messed up cosmetically and i want to refinish it. I just took all the all the paint and finish off really nice one piece body underneath it all. I also hated the sound of the stu hamm once i became more aware of things.( It was my first bass got a steal on it ) So im going to make something funky and wierd out of it.

Thanks, John

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    maybe try the electronics forum. theres alot of gret guys over there

3. Sounds like a really sweet idea. Let us know how it goes.
    My only thoughts would be why 2 jacks, rather than a stereo jack with a splitter at the far end? I cringe at the thought of 2 separate cables hanging off my bass.